[comp.windows.ms] Bypassing MS-DOS Executive/Program Manager

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (05/30/90)

A while back, someone asked how to load windows apps as though you were
using the run-time version.  Today, looking through (will you believe it) a
DESQview support document, I discovered that typing this:

win :c:\path\prog.exe

(put a colon in front of the filespec) will bypass loading of the MS-DOS
Executive in version 2.x.  I tried this with version 3, though
(win /r :c:\excel\excel.exe) but it still loaded the Program Manager.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

smm@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) (06/03/90)

In article <7323@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:
>(put a colon in front of the filespec) will bypass loading of the MS-DOS
>Executive in version 2.x.  I tried this with version 3, though
>(win /r :c:\excel\excel.exe) but it still loaded the Program Manager.
>
>--
>Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

Jason, I believe what you need to do is to change your win.ini file
so that the shell= line is blank.  I believe this will make it not auto-
matically load the program manager.

You could also set the shell= line to other programs like file manager, or even
(possibly), the old Dos Executive from 2.11 if you prefer it.  I still use it
for doing quick scans of the directories, it works fine in real mode.

Stephen M. Milton
Nebula Systems, Inc.

{ One of the nice things about being self-employed is that my opinions are
those of my employer as well. }