[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 Upgrade Cost

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May23.210551.28822@cs.umn.edu> gardiner@cs.umn.edu (David Gardiner) writes:
>The upgrade cost for Windows 3.0 is
>
>$50 + tax + $5.50 shipping.

You may be able to save a few dollars (and a few weeks of waiting) by
talking to your local software emporium.  Egghead is offering to do the
upgrade for $50 plus tax and the title page from your existing Windows
manual; since Microsoft has started collecting sales tax from so many
states this saves you the extra shipping-and-handling price.

Also, the ground rules are supposed to allow users of *any* flavor of
Windows to upgrade for the $50 price tag.  (This is the Microsoft position;
I don't know if Egghead or others will support it.)  This includes not
only older versions of Windows, but any of the run-time versions as
well.  There won't be a  run-time version of 3.0.

Totally irrelevent to the current subject but I'll put it here anyway:
if you try the solitaire game and lay out a hand which can be completed,
go ahead and complete it at least once rather than just realizing that
a win is assured.  Someone at Microsoft (Wes Cherry?) must have had
fun writing the display you get when the last card is stacked on the
top row...

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (05/29/90)

In article <109536@linus.UUCP> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>Totally irrelevent to the current subject but I'll put it here anyway:
>if you try the solitaire game and lay out a hand which can be completed,
>go ahead and complete it at least once rather than just realizing that
>a win is assured.  Someone at Microsoft (Wes Cherry?) must have had
>fun writing the display you get when the last card is stacked on the
>top row...

Also, if you are running a timed game with the robot deck, the robots
eyes move back and forth, the dial moves and the lights blink.
It's cute.

Clancy Malloy
AT&T Bell Labs
att!ihlpf!cem

srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May29.105439.13454@cbnewsc.att.com> freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:
>In article <109536@linus.UUCP> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
[...]
>Also, if you are running a timed game with the robot deck, the robots
>eyes move back and forth, the dial moves and the lights blink.
>It's cute.
>
>Clancy Malloy
>AT&T Bell Labs
>att!ihlpf!cem

The island/beach deck has a sun with sun-glasses which appear and disappear.

*	Steven R. Gerber - PAL (Programmer At Large)
*	srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
*	Tel:	212-794-8721
*	UUCP:	...rutgers!columbia!cunixd!srg
*	FAX:	212-794-8722

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May29.105439.13454@cbnewsc.att.com> freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:
>Also, if you are running a timed game with the robot deck, the robots
>eyes move back and forth, the dial moves and the lights blink.
>It's cute.

If you play a game with the deck that has the hand holding cards you'll see
an ace popping out of the sleeve intermittantly.  If you play the deck with
the palm tree and the sun, you'll see sunglasses and a smile appearing on the
sun every now and then.  I thought I was wigging out when I saw flashes on
the card, but then I waited and found out what was happening.

In the old version you'd see the bats wings moving on the one with the
haunted house.  I don't think it does that anymore.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.145834.20729@chinet.chi.il.us> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes:
> In the old version you'd see the bats wings moving on the one with
> the haunted house.  I don't think it does that anymore.

Yes it does. I looked last night. You have to look real closr, but
the bats are flapping their wings.

Clancy Malloy

srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) (06/04/90)

In article <1990May31.145834.20729@chinet.chi.il.us> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes:
>In article <1990May29.105439.13454@cbnewsc.att.com> freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:
>>Also, if you are running a timed game with the robot deck, the robots
>>eyes move back and forth, the dial moves and the lights blink.
>>It's cute.
>
>If you play a game with the deck that has the hand holding cards you'll see
>an ace popping out of the sleeve intermittantly.  If you play the deck with
>the palm tree and the sun, you'll see sunglasses and a smile appearing on the
>sun every now and then.  I thought I was wigging out when I saw flashes on
>the card, but then I waited and found out what was happening.
>
>In the old version you'd see the bats wings moving on the one with the
>haunted house.  I don't think it does that anymore.
>--
>"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
> trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison
>
>Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

It still does.  You have to look carefully.