[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 hangs on startup in standard mode

jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (06/02/90)

I just installed Windows 3.0 on my machine (Generic AT clone,
1 Meg of memory (640K standard, 384 extended), VGA (ATI VGA wonder 256),
Logitech serial mouse).  Installation went fine. Then I rebooted the
machine and typed win.  It hung.

After some experimenting, I found that it works fine in real mode
(started using win/R).  It just won't work in standard mode.

Two questions:

1.  Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

2.  What do I lose by running in real instead of standard mode?
way

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim

deisenb@ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (06/04/90)

In article <1448@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
>I just installed Windows 3.0 on my machine (Generic AT clone,
>1 Meg of memory (640K standard, 384 extended), VGA (ATI VGA wonder 256),
>Logitech serial mouse).  Installation went fine. Then I rebooted the
>machine and typed win.  It hung.
>
>After some experimenting, I found that it works fine in real mode
>(started using win/R).  It just won't work in standard mode.

The manual suggests that if your machine hangs, try running WIN /I
to ignore system hardwre check at startup.

-Dave
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet