[comp.windows.ms] Word Wrapping in WFW

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (06/01/90)

With all of the discussion of Word for Windows, I am confident that an
experienced user out there will lend me some of their opinions and
expertise.

I bought the $9.95 WFW demo for my wife to see if it would be a good
replacement for the Apple Writer she's been using on her Apple II since
1983.  Needless to say, she's not going to be that hard to impress, and
it's more my desire to move everything over to WIndows than her needs which
are dictating her choice of a new word processor.

My wife writes fiction for a living, that means that she's in front of the
computer writing voluminous amounts of text all day long, and as a side
note she actually reads the text that she has written on the monitor.

With both the WFW demo and the Microsoft Write which comes with Windows 3.0
the text that is displayed on the screen is, to put it mildly, attrocious
to read.  Let me interject that I have tried various combinations of font
style and sizes, but htey either are hard on the eyes, or much more
disturbedly cause the screen to scroll rather than word-wrap at the right
margin (as indicated by the ruler).  Contrast this to the extremely
readable font which the notepad uses, and the result is a rather confused
person ( me ) who is sure I must be missing something.

The WFW demo doesn't mention this behaivior ( other than to say that
Windows will use the most similar font ) and the manual for Write shows
illustrations which correspond correctly between the ruler and the display.

I dis find a "Draft" mode in WFW, but if that is the mode she'll have to
stay in while composing, why do I need a GUI?

As I stated earlier, I've probably missed something.  Help would be
appreciated.

			      John Reynolds, husband of the soon to be
			      famous Katharine Eliska Kimbriel

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (06/02/90)

In article <292600008@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>With both the WFW demo and the Microsoft Write which comes with Windows 3.0
>the text that is displayed on the screen is, to put it mildly, attrocious
>to read.  Let me interject that I have tried various combinations of font

Yes, WfW is nearly unreadable in WYSIWYG mode... It took me a long while
before I got "used to" working with the on-screen Times-Roman font (used
to represent most serifed proportional fonts: Bookman, Palantino, New
Century Schoolbook).

>The WFW demo doesn't mention this behaivior ( other than to say that
>Windows will use the most similar font ) and the manual for Write shows
>illustrations which correspond correctly between the ruler and the display.

There are a lot of "dumb" WfW "features." One of my biggest grumps is the
way hyphenation works. I noticed that it only hyphenates correctly if the
you are in the Page display mode. Hyphenation occurs at inappropriate
locations otherwise (words that are not at the end of lines).

I was also upset to find that text flows over the right side of the screen
no matter which mode I am in if I set the left and right margins to 1 inch.
I found I have to leave the left/right margins at 1.25 inches if I want to
avoid horizontal scrolling.

Here's another upsetting feature... My PostScript printer (an IBM
PagePrinter II-031) has 47 fonts. Although Windows Paint (I am still using
2.11, my 3.0 upgrade has not arrived yet) can support those fonts, WfW can
only support those fonts defined in PSCRIPT.DRV. So, I can't use Garamond
and a number of other useful fonts on my printer from WfW (or Word 5.0 for
that matter).

I like WfW but find its many limitations and odd design choices irritating
to no end. And, I still want to know why I can't shade a box/paragraph when
it was so easy to do in Word 5.0.... todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (06/02/90)

> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu writes:
> I was also upset to find that text flows over the right side of the screen
> no matter which mode I am in if I set the left and right margins to 1 inch.
> I found I have to leave the left/right margins at 1.25 inches if I want to
> avoid horizontal scrolling.

     The amount of text (in inches) that you can display in a left-right
direction depends strongly on the resolution of the display mode that you are
using.  When WFW is used in a standard VGA display mode, it is only able to
display approximately 6 inches of text.  This means that for a page which is
8.5 inches, you must use up at least 2.5 inches of the page in margins until
the line length becomes short enough to be fully displayed on the screen
(therefore your comment on left/right margins being 1.25 inches each).  If more
pixels however are available, more text can be displayed.  I am using an ATI
VGA Wonder card, which has both standard and two types of Super VGA (SVGA)
available.  Left-right display capabilities for these modes are:

Standard VGA     (640 x ?  )   - 6.2 inches
Super VGA        (800 x 600)   - 9.6 inches
Super VGA/8514   (1024 x 768)  - 10.2 inches

     I am not totally sure of the display capabilities of a Hercules card, but
I think that it is closer to that of the 800 x 600 SVGA mode than the standard
VGA mode.  In addition to getting more text right-left (to the extent that
allowing for margins, I can see an entire 8.5 x 11 inch page in *landscape*
format using the 1024 x 768 mode), I see more lines of text with the SVGA
modes.
     I am sold on the SVGA high resolutions modes.  Screen scrolling is
somewhat slower, but not impossibly so.  In draft mode, the characters are very
easily read, although some of the fonts are more difficult to read and I only
turn them on to preview a page.
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

gustwick@wf-aus.cactus.org (Bob Gustwick ) (06/03/90)

reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:

> With both the WFW demo and the Microsoft Write which comes with Windows 3.0
> the text that is displayed on the screen is, to put it mildly, attrocious
> to read.  Let me interject that I have tried various combinations of font
> style and sizes, but htey either are hard on the eyes, or much more
> disturbedly cause the screen to scroll rather than word-wrap at the right
> margin (as indicated by the ruler).  Contrast this to the extremely
> readable font which the notepad uses, and the result is a rather confused
> person ( me ) who is sure I must be missing something.
>
> The WFW demo doesn't mention this behaivior ( other than to say that
> Windows will use the most similar font ) and the manual for Write shows
> illustrations which correspond correctly between the ruler and the display.
>
> I dis find a "Draft" mode in WFW, but if that is the mode she'll have to
> stay in while composing, why do I need a GUI?
>
> As I stated earlier, I've probably missed something.  Help would be
> appreciated.
sigh.  no, you haven't missed a thing.  it is as bad as you think it is.
i'm running w/ a hercules card and a deskjet printer....  i called
microsoft asking how to solve the problem that some fonts scroll off the
right side of the screen.  solution?  get a new printer they said.
the offending screen fonts were hard coded into my printer driver they
said, and to fix the problem would require a new printer driver...
when i reminded them that i had the most recent deskjet driver that
microsoft destributes for hewlett packard, the responce seemed to be
'oh well, try to find a work around, like not using that font, or get
a new printer.'  times-roman seems to be the only font that gives me
usable WYSIWYG type screen layout in WFW...  i agree that the times-roman
screen font is not the most readable thing on the planet.   i can only
hope that the promised microsoft/apple royal font technology will show up soon
and solve all our problems.  in the meantime, i find it difficult to
go around trying 3rd party windows font stuff when it will all be
become obsolete within (hopefully) the next six months.

if you get too frustrated, go buy a mac.  macs work now, today.
if you bought an intel machine w/ windows 'cause it was cheaper,
then you have found out (as have i) why it is cheaper.  it doesn't
work as well.  i suspect that this will begin to change w/ the new
windows 3.0, but a decent windows font technology is still not
here yet.

but perhaps font problems are no problem at all.  perhaps my only problem
is the windows support people.  can anyone out there offer any insight?

...bob

akm@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (06/03/90)

In article <8023@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>In article <292600008@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>>With both the WFW demo and the Microsoft Write which comes with Windows 3.0
>>the text that is displayed on the screen is, to put it mildly, attrocious
>>to read.
>Yes, WfW is nearly unreadable in WYSIWYG mode... It took me a long while
>before I got "used to" working with the on-screen Times-Roman font (used
>to represent most serifed proportional fonts: Bookman, Palantino, New
>Century Schoolbook).

I find the display just fine, and almost exactly what I get on my
printer. Perhaps this is because I am using HP PCL fonts on a deskjet,
and the Helv and TmsRmn fnts that come with windows seem to be just
fine. Another possibility is the display resolution. I use Herc at
home, and VGA at work. I can imagine that if I had CGA, I would have
probems.

kartik
Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (06/04/90)

Todd Ogasawara <todd@uhccux.UUCP> writes:
> I was also upset to find that text flows over the right side of the screen
> no matter which mode I am in if I set the left and right margins to 1 inch.
> I found I have to leave the left/right margins at 1.25 inches if I want to
> avoid horizontal scrolling.

This is not a problem in 800x600 (or greater).  Of course, now my Win3 is
running at 640x480, andI'm getting rather annoyed.  (The first part of the
SVGA driver didn't arrive here -- does anyone have it available for FTP
or email?).

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]