[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 and Networking

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (05/25/90)

In article <1026@bach.nsc.com> my@bach.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:
>Hi, did anyone out there try Window 3.0 on any kind of network?
Not yet.

>I would like to know if Window 3.0 will work with Novell SFT software
>drivers installed.
It should. The reason I have tried it yet is that at least with Netware
286 Advanced it requires 2.15 revision C and I currently have revision A.
The update is on the way.  I also received the new Shell which allows it
to be loaded directly in expanded or extended memory.

>How does Window manages the memory, in 386 mode,
It uses all extended memory, and provides virtual machines of 640k with
LIM4.0 expanded memory available.  It also uses virtual memory techniques
so that my 4MB machine looks like it has 12MB available.

>and
>in REAL mode?
All that is available is the 640k of DOS.

>One problem that I had with Window/286 Window/386 was
>during printing.  I had to set a huge timeout factor.  Also, how well does
>the new spooler works?  The old one is a real dog.
The new Print Manager allows direct control of Network Spoolers.  It is
completely network aware.  This should provide a tremendous speed increase
as you should now be printing to the network queue (like Word Perfect 5.1 does)
as opposed to the LPT1: port.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

dzoey@wam.umd.edu (Joe I. Herman) (05/26/90)

>In article <1026@bach.nsc.com> my@bach.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:
>Hi, did anyone out there try Window 3.0 on any kind of network?

Yes, it works fine with IBM's PC/LAN, the drives come up labeled
"net", it's kind of cute.  Since it works with IBM's PC/LAN, you
can assume it will work with Microsofts MS-NET.

>-- Mike
>   my@dtg.nsc.com

                        Joe Herman
                        dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <1026@bach.nsc.com> my@bach.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:
>Hi, did anyone out there try Window 3.0 on any kind of network?
>I would like to know if Window 3.0 will work with Novell SFT software
>drivers installed.

I've been running Windows 3.0 on a Novell since they got the drivers to work
right.  It's pretty cool.  It will allow you to access the network print
queue from Windows and see your jobs or anyone elses jobs.  You can also kill
or pause your own jobs from Windows.  In addition to this, you can attach
yourself to another server (if you have one) from Windows now.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

paul@cscnj.UUCP (Paul Moody) (05/29/90)

In article <6576@umd5.umd.edu>, dzoey@wam.umd.edu (Joe I. Herman) writes:

> >In article <1026@bach.nsc.com> my@bach.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:
> >Hi, did anyone out there try Window 3.0 on any kind of network?
>
> Yes, it works fine with IBM's PC/LAN, the drives come up labeled

It also recognizes Novell Netware and autoinstalls. The drives come
up labled net. The Print Manager(formally spooler) prints directly
to network printers and lets you manage the network print queues
without pconsole. You can attach and detach servers etc.

To do all of this you will need new software from Novell, including
IPX.OBJ and LOGIN. I have no idea how to go about getting it.

Paul
--
Paul Moody			UUCP: rutgers!cscnj!paul
Computer Sciences Corporation

bill@cbnewsl.att.com (william.clark) (05/30/90)

From article <1990May28.233449.9148@chinet.chi.il.us>, by patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree):
> In article <1026@bach.nsc.com> my@bach.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:
>>Hi, did anyone out there try Window 3.0 on any kind of network?
>>I would like to know if Window 3.0 will work with Novell SFT software
>>drivers installed.
>
> I've been running Windows 3.0 on a Novell since they got the drivers to work
> right.  It's pretty cool.

Has anyone tried any other networks (e.g. StarLAN, or MS's LAN Manager, etc.)??

CCMK@latvax8.lat.oz (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (05/30/90)

In article <1026@bach.nsc.com>, my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) writes:
> Hi, did anyone out there try Window 3.0 on any kind of network?

I have used Windows 3.0 with PCSA v3.0 (DEC's VAX/PC networking software)
and it works fine.  File services are labeled correctly, as are
networked printers.  Windows sees "Lan Manager 1.0 or 2.0" installed.
DEC's windows control software (written for 2.1) works fine, also,
except for the VT320 terminal emulator.

Very nice!

Mark Kosten,          phone: +61 3 479-2767
Computer Centre,      ACSnet/UUCP/Bitnet: ccmk@latvax8.lat.oz
La Trobe University,  X25: 234730008 (ccmk@latrobe.edu.au)
Bundoora,
Victoria 3083
Australia

kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker) (05/31/90)

In article <1026@bach.nsc.com> my@bach.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:
>Hi, did anyone out there try Window 3.0 on any kind of network?

The keywords says it all.  Does anyone know if Win3.0 will work with
Wollogong's TCP/IP package over an ethernet connection?  I have at last
seen Win3.0 and am impressed.  Up till now I have not been but it looks
very good.  My concerns are how well it will run with the various
software packages that I use al the time.  i understand that I should
be able to run regular DOS stuff in the enhanced 386 mode, what about
programs like Freelance Plus 3.1, Graphwriter II, Magellan 2.0, Agenda,
Manuscript, Rightwriter?

I have a whole bunch of Bitstream fonts installed for Ventura and
Manuscript, will these be useable?

I doubt if CADKEY 3.5.2 will work as I have to load a different driver
that is specific to CADKEY.

BTW, I will be running all this on an Exceltronix (Canadian clone) BEST
386/33 with 8Mb 80ns memory and a Conners 200Mb HD.  The monitor will
be either a Taxan Ultravision 1150 with PixelWorks UltrClipper (8
bitplane) card or a NEC 5D with a Vermont Microsystems 1280 (8
bitplane) card.  (I haven't recieved the stuff yet but am pulling my
hair out waiting!!!!! :-))

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc

gt0159a@prism.gatech.EDU (LEVINSON) (06/01/90)

Anybody tried it with Novell ELS level network software?

How about other fairly good NetBios compatibles like LanTastic?

Not that I want to use it, but does Tops or Appletalk interface well?

Answers to these and other networking questions for Win should be
summarrized and posted.  I'd be happy to if responses are sent by
E-mail.

- Marc

--
LEVINSON,MARC LOUIS
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt0159a

bill@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (William Tsai) (06/04/90)

In article <1990May29.184718.15862@cbnewsl.att.com> bill@cbnewsl.att.com (william.clark) writes:
>Has anyone tried any other networks (e.g. StarLAN, or MS's LAN Manager, etc.)??

Banyan Vines users need to install a new patch in order to gain network
support.  It's stated in readme.txt.  We have ordered but haven't
gotten it yet so I don't know how well it works.

        Bill Tsai        |  bill@vax1.udel.EDU       ..@freezer.it.udel.edu
 University of Delaware  |    ..@sun.udel.EDU        ffo30260@udelvm.bitnet

thorh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Thor Hallen) (06/04/90)

In article <6565@vax1.acs.udel.EDU>, bill@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (William Tsai) writes:
> In article <1990May29.184718.15862@cbnewsl.att.com> bill@cbnewsl.att.com (william.clark) writes:
> >Has anyone tried any other networks (e.g. StarLAN, or MS's LAN Manager, etc.)??
>
> Banyan Vines users need to install a new patch in order to gain network
> support.  It's stated in readme.txt.  We have ordered but haven't
> gotten it yet so I don't know how well it works.
>
> --
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>         Bill Tsai        |  bill@vax1.udel.EDU       ..@freezer.it.udel.edu
>  University of Delaware  |    ..@sun.udel.EDU        ffo30260@udelvm.bitnet

PC NFS is incompatible and not supported by Windows 3. If you try to
access a network printer or drive your system will hang. Sun Microsystems
said they are working on an upgrade for Windows 3 compatibility that should
be available late this year. I have found a useful work-around that enables
use of network printers. Define your network printer as connected to an
OS2 port rather than a normal printer port .e.g LPT2.OS2 rather than LPT2:.
This tells Windows to send printer output directly to the printer port
without interpretation.

	Thor Hallen
	Tektronix, Inc.