[comp.windows.ms] Accessing memory mapped boards in 3.0 386 mode?

grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) (06/05/90)

Well, still no sign of the 3.0 SDK.  Meanwhile, I am curious to know how
memory mapped peripherals are accessed in 3.0's 386 protected mode.
Judging from the behavior of my old programs that access a hunk of
shared memory at 0xd0000, making a far pointer in 3.0 is a no-no.  Is there
something similar to Unix's "physical I/O" functions that let you specify
an absolute address?

Anybody with a beta 3.0 SDK care to comment?

Mark

Mark D. Grosen		ARPA: grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu
Signal Processing Lab / Communications Research Lab
ECE Dept.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

brianf@umd5.umd.edu (Brian Farmer) (06/05/90)

In article <5660@hub.ucsb.edu> grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:

>Well, still no sign of the 3.0 SDK.  Meanwhile, I am curious to know how
>memory mapped peripherals are accessed in 3.0's 386 protected mode.
>Judging from the behavior of my old programs that access a hunk of
>shared memory at 0xd0000, making a far pointer in 3.0 is a no-no.  Is there
>something similar to Unix's "physical I/O" functions that let you specify
>an absolute address?

A few global selectors have been defined to directly access the
memory.  They are __A000H, __B000H, __B800H, __C000H, __D000H,
__E000H, __F000H.