[comp.windows.ms] ACTOR debugging

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (06/05/90)

Does ACTOR allow you to create DLL's?

If so, do they supply a debugger which allows you to debug them at the
source code level?

Does ACTOR produce symbol tables which will work with SYMDEB?

The gist of this is that I would like to hear people's experiences with
debugging ACTOR applications.  I tend to consider debugging tools as a
primary concern, which is why I tended to prefer Borland's Turbo C over
MicroSoft C when Codeview was a memory hog.  ( I still don't know how you
switch symbol tables with codeview when you jump into a DLL, with Symdeb
it's a given ).

I've sent off for ACTOR 3.0's info, but I'm too impatient to wait on the
U.S. mail.

					 John Reynolds.

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (06/08/90)

In article <292600009@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>Does ACTOR allow you to create DLL's?
No, but it allows you to access existing DLL's.

>If so, do they supply a debugger which allows you to debug them at the
>source code level?
We supply a debugger that allows you to debug Actor source code.  This
debugger will allow you to see the source, inspect the variables, and you
can also change the source code, compile it, then go back to the application.

Just to clear one thing up, Actor is an incrementally compiled language
that is created, modified, and run in a development environment within windows.
We usually call Actor a development system, not a development language.

>Does ACTOR produce symbol tables which will work with SYMDEB?
Since Actor is not compiled but incrementatally compiled, we don't produce
symbol tables.  Well, we don't produce anything like what SYMDEB uses.
However, the Actor executable that is distributed can be run
with codeview or a tracing mechanism we provide for debugging purposes.

--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us