[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 doesn't like Disk Manager

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (06/04/90)

    G'Day,

    	I found another gotcha with Windows 3.0.  My disk has 1224
    cylinders so I use Disk Manager for the partitioning.  Windows 3 does
    not like the dmdrvr.bin driver when running in enhanced mode.  Works
    fine in real mode but who wants that on a 386??  With dmdrvr loaded the
    systems just sits there with the banner on the screen and occassionally
    accessing the disk.  If I remove dmdrvr then it works fine but of
    course I can only access the C: partition.  I have very little of any
    use on C:, it's all on D:, E:, F: and G: so I'm stuck.  I hope that a
    later version of the driver is capable of running with windows in
    enhanced mode.

    David.

|  David Wales - Sydney, Australia      | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|                                       | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"    | UUCP:   decwrl!gidday.enet!wales    |
|                                       |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and      | Voice:  (61) 2 713-1809 (H)         |
|  mine only!                           |         (61) 2 412-7334 (W)         |

orac@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Giovacchini) (06/05/90)

In article <312@e2big.enet.dec.com> wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:

>    G'Day,
>
>    	I found another gotcha with Windows 3.0.  My disk has 1224
>    cylinders so I use Disk Manager for the partitioning.  Windows 3 does
>    not like the dmdrvr.bin driver when running in enhanced mode.  Works
>    fine in real mode but who wants that on a 386??  With dmdrvr loaded the
>    systems just sits there with the banner on the screen and occassionally
>    accessing the disk.  If I remove dmdrvr then it works fine but of
>    course I can only access the C: partition.  I have very little of any
>    use on C:, it's all on D:, E:, F: and G: so I'm stuck.  I hope that a
	I have the same problem.  You can get around the problem by setting
 this in the system.ini file:

		 	VirtualHDIrq=off

	You will also have problems with the swapper, but atleast you
 ca use the 386enh mode.
 ----
           -Paul Giovacchini        |   "  Think you are having a bad day?
       ( orac\@chinet.chi.il.us )   |   I just fried 2 computers and a cat! "

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (06/05/90)

In article <312@e2big.enet.dec.com>, wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
>     G'Day,
>
>       I found another gotcha with Windows 3.0.  My disk has 1224
>     cylinders so I use Disk Manager for the partitioning.  Windows 3 does
>     not like the dmdrvr.bin driver when running in enhanced mode.  Works
>     fine in real mode but who wants that on a 386??  With dmdrvr loaded the
>     systems just sits there with the banner on the screen and occassionally
>     accessing the disk.  If I remove dmdrvr then it works fine but of
>     course I can only access the C: partition.  I have very little of any
>     use on C:, it's all on D:, E:, F: and G: so I'm stuck.  I hope that a
>     later version of the driver is capable of running with windows in
>     enhanced mode.

I also use Disk Manager, but I had no problem until I came to run SwapFile to
setup a permanent swap file. It simply stated that I had a device driver in
config.sys which was incompatible.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

reeves@dvinci.usask.ca (Malcolm Reeves) (06/06/90)

From article <312@e2big.enet.dec.com>, by wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales):

>     G'Day,
>
>     	I found another gotcha with Windows 3.0.  My disk has 1224
>     cylinders so I use Disk Manager for the partitioning.  Windows 3 does
>     not like the dmdrvr.bin driver when running in enhanced mode.  Works
>     fine in real mode but who wants that on a 386??  With dmdrvr loaded the
>     systems just sits there with the banner on the screen and occassionally
>     accessing the disk.  If I remove dmdrvr then it works fine but of
>     course I can only access the C: partition.  I have very little of any
>     use on C:, it's all on D:, E:, F: and G: so I'm stuck.  I hope that a
>     later version of the driver is capable of running with windows in
>     enhanced mode.
>
>     David.

if you have a WD1007 controller and a 1224 Cyl disk you can use the 63 SPT
translation - I have a 1224 Cyl CDC Wren formatted as 16Tx63SPTx617Cyl which
gives me 303 Mb formatted with fdisk and no device driver. Of course all
the partitions are limited to 32 Mb - gotcha ;-)

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (06/06/90)

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:

[...]
>    	I found another gotcha with Windows 3.0.  My disk has 1224
>    cylinders so I use Disk Manager for the partitioning.  Windows 3 does
>    not like the dmdrvr.bin driver when running in enhanced mode. [...]

You haven't mentioned which version of MS-DOS you are using, or the system
configuration.  I would suggest perhaps upgrading your DOS to DR-DOS 3.3X
(that's Digital Research's release of DOS - they're still around I hear ;-) ).
I presume that it is up to that by now.  Furthermore, I presume it can handle
the larger drives (I presume a lot don't I. (:-D) ).

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (06/10/90)

In article <1604@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au> bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
>wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
>
>>    	I found another gotcha with Windows 3.0.  My disk has 1224
>configuration.  I would suggest perhaps upgrading your DOS to DR-DOS 3.3X
>(that's Digital Research's release of DOS - they're still around I hear ;-) ).

Windows 3.0 does not work under DR-DOS.
We were quite happy with DR-DOS, but had to up-(down-)-grade to msdos 4.01
to be able to user windows 3.0 (in 386-mode)