[comp.windows.ms] Wait for a book on 3.0?

gsm@sequoia.execu.com (Scott Mather) (06/11/90)

I'm going to be starting a big windows 3.0 project in about 7 months.
I have no windows programming experience, but do have extensive mac and
DOS experience.
When W3.0 was released, I rushed down to my favorite computer bookstore
fully expecting to see books available specific to W3.0.

There aren't any yet!
My $64K question is:  Is W3.0 sufficiently different from prior versions to
warrant waiting for books that have been modified or specifically targeted
to W3.0?  I have no interest in programming or knowing much about prior
versions of windows.  I can wait up to 2 months for W3.0 specific books to
appear.  Should I wait or just pick up one of the many "generic" windows
books that are available now?

Thank's

Scott Mather
Execucom Systems Corporation

cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) (06/12/90)

In article <18156@sequoia.execu.com> gsm@execu.com writes:
>There aren't any yet!
>My $64K question is:  Is W3.0 sufficiently different from prior versions to
>warrant waiting for books that have been modified or specifically targeted
>to W3.0?  I have no interest in programming or knowing much about prior
>versions of windows.  I can wait up to 2 months for W3.0 specific books to
>appear.  Should I wait or just pick up one of the many "generic" windows
>books that are available now?

Osborne/McGraw-Hill offers "Windows Programming" by Murray and Pappas which
has been revised for Windows 3.0.

You would also may value in the Windows 3.0 SDK in general and on-line help in
particular.

... say ... haven't I heard of Execucom?
--
Christopher D. Brown

Digital: {uunet|texbell|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
Analog: (512) 327-7070
Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764