[comp.windows.ms] Help! Mouse going crazy!

frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov (Chris Frerking) (06/13/90)

A couple of days ago, I purchased Windows 3.0 - I am having difficulty
getting it to work on my system. Perhaps someone knows how I might solve this
problem.

The problem:
There seems to be some conflict between himem.sys and my mouse. When I run
Windows (386 mode), using himem.sys, my mouse starts jumping uncontrollably
all over the screen, "clicking" at random, etc. I have to reboot my machine
before the random movement and clicking causes any damage.

When I remove himem.sys from my config.sys file, and start up windows,
everything is fine with the mouse. (but I don't think I am in 386 mode, and
I certainly don't have access to my extrended memory).

When I tell Windows that I have no mouse, and only use the keyboard, I can
use himem.sys, 386 mode, etc. - everything works... but Windows is really a
pain with no mouse...

I am not running anything but himem.sys, mouse.sys, and "smartdisk" (which
is supplied by MS), so this is not some problem with some TSR I'm trying to
run, or something like that...

Hardware:
16MHz 386SX (Packard-Bell clone - uses Phoenix 386 BIOS), 4M memory (640K base,
3456K extended), "Genius" bus mouse (came with system - supposedly MS mouse
clone), 80M disk (shouldn't matter...)

What should I do? I suspect that the mouse may be the problem - it is probably
a real cheap clone, so perhaps buying a new mouse would help... Or does this
sound like a problem with my system? or maybe there is some incompatibility
with the Phoenix BIOS? Anyone know????

Thanks in advance,
Chris (frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov)

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) (06/13/90)

In article <61426@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov (Chris Frerking) writes:

>A couple of days ago, I purchased Windows 3.0 - I am having difficulty
>getting it to work on my system. Perhaps someone knows how I might solve this
>problem.
>
>The problem:
>There seems to be some conflict between himem.sys and my mouse. When I run
>Windows (386 mode), using himem.sys, my mouse starts jumping uncontrollably
>all over the screen, "clicking" at random, etc. I have to reboot my machine
>before the random movement and clicking causes any damage.

I had a similar problem with my Logitech mouse.  I lowered the comm speed
on my mouse driver to 2400 bps and everything worked fine.  You might want
to play with the comm settings in the control panel and the mouse driver.
I get the feeling that Windows has trouble with fast comm speeds (I
originally had my driver set to run at 9600 bps).

|  Sam Shim                                   | "I didn't do it...            |
|  EECS Departmental Computing Organization   |  It wasn't me...              |
|  University of Michigan                     |  Nobody saw me do it...       |
|  Ann Arbor, MI 48109                        |  Nobody can prove a thing..." |
|  internet: shim@eecs.umich.edu              |  - Bart Simpson               |