[comp.windows.ms] SCSI drivers & 386 Enhanced mode

minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) (06/11/90)

A while ago I posted a message asking if anyone got Windows to work with
a SCSI drive. Here's more specifics: Windows 3 *will* acknowledge the
drive if it's run in real or standard mode. When it starts up in 386
Enhanced mode, any access to it results in a 'Cannot read from drive
x' message. I suspect this may have to do with the problems reported here
by others who can't get Windows to work with non-standard partitions...
the virtual drives off of my SCSI are not stand ard DOS partitions
either.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Why does this happen only in 386
enhanced mode and not in standard or real? Is there a way to force
Windows to use installed drivers? I remember someone posting an
undocumented command line switch for Windows 2.1 forcing it to use
"standard" disk access (whatever that is). Maybe this exists for
3.0 too?

Thanx in advance...
Michael

The child can explain the man better than  | Michael K. Minakami
      the man can explain the child.       | minakami@neon.stanford.edu

pfrennin@altos86.Altos.COM (Peter Frenning) (06/12/90)

In article <1990Jun11.062719.22834@Neon.Stanford.EDU> minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) writes:

>A while ago I posted a message asking if anyone got Windows to work with
>a SCSI drive. Here's more specifics: Windows 3 *will* acknowledge the
>drive if it's run in real or standard mode. When it starts up in 386
>[Stuff deleted]
>Does anyone have a fix for this? Why does this happen only in 386
>enhanced mode and not in standard or real? Is there a way to force
>[Stuff deleted]
>--
I'm running 3.0 on a SCSI setup and it's quite happy with it in either mode.
I'm running an AHA1542B controller with an Imprimis(Seagate) drive with no
problems whatsoever, even using the onboard BIOS although Adaptec tells
you to use their dos device driver with protected mode SW.

+-------------------------------------------------+---------------------------+
|Peter Frenning, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose |   ***** TANSTAAFL *****   |
|2641 Orchard Parkway, San Jose, CA 95134         | There Ain't No Such Thing |
|pfrennin@Altos.COM (..!uunet|sun!altos!pfrennin) | As A Free Lunch (Heinlein)|
+-------------------------------------------------+---------------------------+

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun11.062719.22834@Neon.Stanford.EDU> minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) writes:

>A while ago I posted a message asking if anyone got Windows to work with
>a SCSI drive. Here's more specifics: Windows 3 *will* acknowledge the
>drive if it's run in real or standard mode. When it starts up in 386
>Enhanced mode, any access to it results in a 'Cannot read from drive
>x' message. I suspect this may have to do with the problems reported here
>by others who can't get Windows to work with non-standard partitions...
>the virtual drives off of my SCSI are not stand ard DOS partitions
>either.
>
>Does anyone have a fix for this? Why does this happen only in 386
>enhanced mode and not in standard or real? Is there a way to force
>Windows to use installed drivers? I remember someone posting an
>undocumented command line switch for Windows 2.1 forcing it to use
>"standard" disk access (whatever that is). Maybe this exists for
>3.0 too?

Windows 3.0 works fine with my Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller. This controller
needs no drivers, the system recognizes it as a standard MFM or RLL drive. In
fact, it will even work with another MFM or RLL controller in the system at
the same time.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254