[comp.windows.ms] HELP!!

deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (06/01/90)

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!  I uudecoded the SVGA driver which was posted here
and tried to install it... well, it told me that it needed the file
SV800.GR2 or something like that, so it failed instalation...  no biggie,
I kept it at normal VGA...
But NOW, I can't get into Windows!!  ARGH!  I try to run WIN, and it
shows me the logo screen, checks the modem, then throws me back in DOS!
What's happening here??
I checked all the .INI files and Setup, and everything seems correct.
I even tried to run WIN /I and WIN /3 and WIN /everything!  What happened?
Am I going to have to save my .INI files, erase everything and start again?
That would suck.  Please give some advice to a poor sole such as I.

-Dave
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet

andrzej@bcars268.uucp (Andrzej Bieszczad) (06/01/90)

In article <9570@sbcs.sunysb.edu> deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) writes:
>WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!  I uudecoded the SVGA driver which was posted here
>and tried to install it... well, it told me that it needed the file
>SV800.GR2 or something like that, so it failed instalation...  no biggie,

I wonder how did you do this, since I failed to undecode the file
using PKXARC. Should I use something else? I have never done it before,
could you describe what is the procedure? (I used X-modem to bring
the file from SUN to PC, I stripped the text - as indicated by "cut
here", merged two parts and used PKXARC).

Maybe it is my luck? (knowing what happend to your system).

    Andrzej

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)  Phone: (613) 763-2259
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej             Fax:   (613) 763-3283
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

deisenb@ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (06/01/90)

In article <1990Jun1.043759.16650@bigsur.uucp> andrzej@bcars268.uucp (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:
>In article <9570@sbcs.sunysb.edu> deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) writes:
>>WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!  I uudecoded the SVGA driver which was posted here
>>and tried to install it... well, it told me that it needed the file
>>SV800.GR2 or something like that, so it failed instalation...  no biggie,
>
>I wonder how did you do this, since I failed to undecode the file
>using PKXARC. Should I use something else? I have never done it before,
>could you describe what is the procedure? (I used X-modem to bring
>the file from SUN to PC, I stripped the text - as indicated by "cut
>here", merged two parts and used PKXARC).

I saved both part-1 and part-2 of the messages to files on disk, then
used cat to append part-2 to the end of part-1.  Then, used the program
uudecode (available on most UNIX machines....) which created the .ARC
file.  Then, I used Kermit in IMAGE mode to download it to my PC.
After that, I used PKXARC v3.5 to unARC it.  I got a CRC failure, but
the file looks intact.  Anyone else get a CRC error?  Anyone else get
it TO WORK??  (We're talking about the 800x600 driver for Win 3.0 names
sv800.arc in this group.)

-Dave
--

mikew@athena.mit.edu (Michael B Williams) (06/02/90)

(Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:
|> In article <9570@sbcs.sunysb.edu> deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu
(David I Eisenberg) writes:
|> >WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!  I uudecoded the SVGA driver which was posted here
|> >and tried to install it... well, it told me that it needed the file
|> >SV800.GR2 or something like that, so it failed instalation...  no biggie,
|>
|> I wonder how did you do this, since I failed to undecode the file
|> using PKXARC. Should I use something else? I have never done it before,
|> could you describe what is the procedure? (I used X-modem to bring
|> the file from SUN to PC, I stripped the text - as indicated by "cut
|> here", merged two parts and used PKXARC).
|>
|> Maybe it is my luck? (knowing what happend to your system).

>I saved both part-1 and part-2 of the messages to files on disk, then
>used cat to append part-2 to the end of part-1.  Then, used the program
>uudecode (available on most UNIX machines....) which created the .ARC
>file.  Then, I used Kermit in IMAGE mode to download it to my PC.
>After that, I used PKXARC v3.5 to unARC it.  I got a CRC failure, but
>the file looks intact.  Anyone else get a CRC error?  Anyone else get
>it TO WORK??  (We're talking about the 800x600 driver for Win 3.0 names
>sv800.arc in this group.)

I successfully uudecoded the driver after first removing everything outside
of the "cut here" lines inclusive (as well as all headers) and combining the
two files.  I used pkxarc on it, and it expanded into two files: the
driver and a
readme file.  The readme file doesn't give complete directions, so I ran
Windows Setup, and I got the "you need SV800.GRB" message.

Since that didn't work, I tried the desperate approach:  I copied the SV800.DRV
file over the VGA.DRV file (backing the latter up first, of course).
After making
the documented change to WIN.INI, I ran Windows--and it worked!  Now I
have glorious 800 by 600 graphics, and I like Windows 3.0 even better!  Give it
a try again; its worth it.  The readme file mentions Paradise and one
other board,
but the driver should work as long as you have the mode number of your card.
                                                     ___
Michael B. Williams		      |	       /|  /|   )|  /|  /
Room 527			      |	      / | / |--< | / | /
Laboratory for Computer Science	      |	     /  |/  |___)|/  |/
Massachusetts Institute of Technology |	Internet: mikew@athena.mit.edu
545 Technology Square		      |	CompuServe: 73667,3264
Cambridge, MA 02139		      |	AT&T: (617) 253-6015

c-mikema@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Bakkemo) (06/02/90)

sv800.drv is a windows 3.0 driver for a "generic" super-vga 800x600 16
color mode. The card must support the 800x600 mode at the BIOS level

sv800 will read the BIOS mode number for 800x600x4 mode from WIN.INI

    [display]
        Mode800x600x4 = ##

for example:

    [display]
        Mode800x600x4 = 22      <-- for V7 VGA
        Mode800x600x4 = 88      <-- for Paradise VGA

sv800 is not guarenteed to work with Win386 (ie 386 enhanced mode) it
depends wether the standard VGA VDD can deal with the particular card.

you cannot install this driver using the SETUP.EXE program you *must*
install sv800 as the display driver, by editing SYSTEM.INI:

    [boot]
        display.drv=sv800.drv

I hope this clears up any uncertainties anyone has had.

The views expressed belong to me and perhaps a few others.

Cute sign-off line currently under litigation for look and feel
infringment.

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/02/90)

>for example:

>    [display]
>        Mode800x600x4 = 22      <-- for V7 VGA
>        Mode800x600x4 = 88      <-- for Paradise VGA

Just one question : is this an 800x600x*16* driver or 800x600x*4* driver?

Thanks!

Milan
.

mikew@athena.mit.edu (Michael B Williams) (06/05/90)

In article <118500016@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
|> >    [display]
|> >        Mode800x600x4 = 22      <-- for V7 VGA
|> >        Mode800x600x4 = 88      <-- for Paradise VGA
|>
|> Just one question : is this an 800x600x*16* driver or 800x600x*4* driver?

I am pretty sure that the driver provides 16 colors, because at least
one of the
programs I have lets you choose colors and it gave me 16 choices (from a
rather bland palette, I might add; I wonder if there's a way to change them).
The `4' in Mode800x600x4 might refer to the number of bits per color instead
of the number of colors, which would provide 2**4 or 16 different colors.
                                                     ___
Michael B. Williams		      |	       /|  /|   )|  /|  /
Room 527			      |	      / | / |--< | / | /
Laboratory for Computer Science	      |	     /  |/  |___)|/  |/
Massachusetts Institute of Technology |	Internet: mikew@athena.mit.edu
545 Technology Square		      |	CompuServe: 73667,3264
Cambridge, MA 02139		      |	AT&T: (617) 253-6015

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (06/13/90)

Would some kind soul please repost this driver or tell me where I may ftp it
from?
GOD WINDOWS 3 IN 800x600!?!?!?!?

ciao
jeff

--
Jeff Watkins  gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
"All opinions are mine... so don't even think of keeping some to yourself!"