[comp.windows.ms] Win3, Questions to answer

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (06/09/90)

1) When will I get an upgrade offer for an SDK under Win 3?

2) In our 30000 line application, what do I have to do to make it
   run without the initial warning under win 3?  Do I just
   recompile?  or recode?

3) In Win 3 Terminal, How can I specify a function key that sends
   a control-break ?

4) Can I recompile with MSC 6.0 and SDK 2.1 (win386 version) together?

Overall, the look and feel of WIn 3 is awesome!  I have read a lot of
gripes about the $$$ of MS products.  I agree to some extent, but program
in the X envrionment with no real product support!  Does anyone really
know X?

A note to MS (any OS2/PM might solve this):

   I need to be able to design, develop, debug and test applications
   in the same environment !!!!  This is a MUST; I do not want to have
   to resort to smaller environments such as Actor and Smalltalk.  I want
   the look and feel that X/Unix gives to the developer.

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

streich@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) (06/09/90)

In article <9774@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

>A note to MS (any OS2/PM might solve this):
>
>   I need to be able to design, develop, debug and test applications
>   in the same environment !!!!  This is a MUST; I do not want to have
>   to resort to smaller environments such as Actor and Smalltalk.  I want
>   the look and feel that X/Unix gives to the developer.

Perhaps Microsoft is hard at work at creating a Programmer's WorkBench that
will run under windows...

michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael THURLKILL) (06/14/90)

In article <9774@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

>2) In our 30000 line application, what do I have to do to make it
>   run without the initial warning under win 3?  Do I just
>   recompile?  or recode?

You technically only have to run the program through MARK.EXE that
is included with the 3.0 SDK. I know, you don't have it yet. Nothing
I can say except maybe "wait for the SDK". You could possibly use
one of the PD mark apps that have been mentioned in this forum.
In general, apps that work under 2.x and "follow the rules" should
work under 3.0. The biggest thing you'll encounter when running
under 3.0 is protect mode. This gives you more memory to play with,
but it also imposes some new restrictions. In general the
restrictions aren't bad, they simply force you to remove some things
that were bugs or "not good practice". Here are some guidelines:
Do not assume the priviledge level in which your app is running.
Do not load a segment register with a value other than one
provided by Windows or DOS.
Do not perform segment arithmetic.
Do not compare segment addresses.
Do not read or write past the ends of memory objects.
Do not use code segment variables.
When increasing the size of a memory object across a 64k boundary,
do not assume that the GlobalRealloc function returns the same
handle it was passed.
Do not rely on GlobalFlags to indicate how many times your app
has called GlobalLock if your app is running in standard or
enhanced mode. Your application should not rely on GlobalFlags to
determine the usage count of a globally allocated object. Instead,
your app should maintain it's own reference count for the object.

Also, Win3 uses a proportional system font in 3.0 apps. You
should make sure your dialogs all look right with the proportional
font.

Mike Thurlkill

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. They should in no way be
miscontrued as being correct or in any way related to my employer.