[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 trashing hard disks...

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (06/14/90)

Looks like Windows 3.0 does not like hard disks with 1024 or more
cylinders. I am pretty certain that Win 3.0 trashed the FAT on my Acer
1100/25 with a Seagate ST-4096 (no flames about the Seagate :-).

A friend who owns a local retail computer store said that he was on the
phone with OnTrack today and they said they are getting lots of calls from
people with stories like mine.

I know Microsoft will deny all of this.. So, what are we supposed to do for
the next six months to a year when Microsoft releases a maintenance fix out
of the blue? I've committed to using Ventura Publisher for Windows (due out
in July) and Arts & Letters for Windows 3.0 (due out June 22) as well as
Windows Word (which we all know sucks wind when used with Windows 2.11 and
Windows/386) and Excel 2.15C.

Sheesh.. I should have learned my lesson and bought a Mac for desktop
publishing... but noooooo ;-) ...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) (06/14/90)

In article <8175@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Looks like Windows 3.0 does not like hard disks with 1024 or more
>cylinders. I am pretty certain that Win 3.0 trashed the FAT on my Acer
>1100/25 with a Seagate ST-4096 (no flames about the Seagate :-).
>
>A friend who owns a local retail computer store said that he was on the
>phone with OnTrack today and they said they are getting lots of calls from
>people with stories like mine.

	Is it my imagination or did Microsoft tech support state that they do
NOT support any third party partitioning software like OnTrack or SpeedStor?
This was the case for me with Windows 2.11 on a true blue IBM AT with a
Seagate 4096 partitioned with Speedstor.  That is, as long as I DIDN'T have
the SMARTDRV.SYS in my config file, Windows worked fine.

Danny
danny@garnet.berkeley.edu

keegan-edward@cs.yale.edu (Edward Keegan) (06/14/90)

I've seen articles recently that point to the version of DOS Windows expects,
4.1 not 3.X. Users report hard disks being trashed when a large disk (>32MB)
using a disk manager pkg and DOS 3.X.

     +-----------------------------+-------------------------------------+
     | Edward T. Keegan, Director  |   UUCP: yale!Keegan-Edward          |
     | Development and Operations  |   ARPA: Keegan-Edward@cs.yale.edu   |
     | Computer Science Department | BITNET: Keegan-Edward@YaleCS.BITNET |
     | Yale University             |  VOICE: 1-203-432-1254              |
     | Arthur K. Watson Hall       |    FAX: 1-203-432-0593              |
     | 51 Prospect St., Room 009   |   USPS: P.O.Box 2158, Yale Station  |
     | New Haven, CT 06520-2158    |         New Haven, CT 06520         |
     +-----------------------------+-------------------------------------+

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.084937.21799@agate.berkeley.edu> danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) writes:
]In article <8175@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
]>Looks like Windows 3.0 does not like hard disks with 1024 or more
]>cylinders. I am pretty certain that Win 3.0 trashed the FAT on my Acer
]>1100/25 with a Seagate ST-4096 (no flames about the Seagate :-).
]	Is it my imagination or did Microsoft tech support state that they do
]NOT support any third party partitioning software like OnTrack or SpeedStor?
]This was the case for me with Windows 2.11 on a true blue IBM AT with a
]Seagate 4096 partitioned with Speedstor.  That is, as long as I DIDN'T have
]the SMARTDRV.SYS in my config file, Windows worked fine.

If they said it, they didn't do it in the Windows 3.0 manual which I just
checked through. In any case, I read the net-warnings about SMARTDRV.SYS
and OnTrack and *DID NOT* install SMARTDRV.SYS in my CONFIG.INI file.

All this begs the questions though.. The point is that Windows is broken
for all intents and purposes to a lot of users and potential users. It
should be noted that a lot of clone makers (like Acer) bundled Windows/386
with their 386 boxes. Microsoft is said to be honoring upgrades from these
bundled Windows packages. So, what is going to happen to all these Windows
users?