[comp.windows.ms] DOS App Memory Usage

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) (06/14/90)

This is in response to the question about not being able to run more than
2 dos apps on a 2Mb machine.

In win 3.0 enhanced mode, a DOS application must be completely resident
in order to run.  If the Virtual Machine does not have the background
option set (via PIF editor or settings dialog), it will be swapped out
to disk when it doesnt have the focus (ie, when its not foreground).  If
you set the background option, you are telling windows that you want the
application/vm to always be running and thus windows will never swap it
out.  So, if you have 2 such VMs, you will tie up over 1Mb in resident
space.  Depending on your machine configuration and windows apps/device
driver loaded you may not be able squeeze in another one.  Note that a
lot of machines out there loose 384Kb of physical RAM to shadow ROM and
thus are really 1.6Mb machines.  I wouldn't expect them to run more than
2 background DOS apps at once.  Your milage may vary.

So, I would suggest people use the background option only for applications
that really need it.

Phil Barrett
The above opinions are mine and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

streich@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) (06/15/90)

In article <55227@microsoft.UUCP> philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) writes:

>In win 3.0 enhanced mode, a DOS application must be completely resident
>in order to run.  If the Virtual Machine does not have the background
>option set (via PIF editor or settings dialog), it will be swapped out
>to disk when it doesnt have the focus (ie, when its not foreground).

Does Windows swap back in any applications when they *can* fit, or does the
user need to actively select the application?  DESQview leaves applications
swapped until you explicitly switch to that window/program.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (06/15/90)

In article <55227@microsoft.UUCP> philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) writes:
>In win 3.0 enhanced mode, a DOS application must be completely resident
>in order to run.  If the Virtual Machine does not have the background
>option set (via PIF editor or settings dialog), it will be swapped out
>to disk when it doesnt have the focus (ie, when its not foreground).  If
>you set the background option, you are telling windows that you want the
>application/vm to always be running and thus windows will never swap it
>out.  So, if you have 2 such VMs, you will tie up over 1Mb in resident
>space.  Depending on your machine configuration and windows apps/device
>driver loaded you may not be able squeeze in another one.  Note that a
>lot of machines out there loose 384Kb of physical RAM to shadow ROM and
>thus are really 1.6Mb machines.  I wouldn't expect them to run more than
>2 background DOS apps at once.  Your milage may vary.

If this is true, why is there the "Lock application memory" option in the
PIF Editor?  My manual says, "While the application is running, if this
option is selected, Windows will keep the application in memory and not swap
it to the hard disk."  This sounds to me as though it swaps otherwise.

In a similar vein, a 2Mb computer at work with WfW and 4dos (640K) loaded at
the same time suffers from CONTINUOUS DISK ACCESS.  This goes on until I
kill the 4dos process; this, too, would seem to indicate that 4dos is
running in the background, but that it is being loaded again each time it
gets its timeslice, thus killing the computer.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu