[comp.windows.ms] Using GIF`s as wallpaper

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/13/90)

I have come across a way to load GIF's as your desktop wallpaper in Windows
3.0. Basically you need a .BMP file to do this, which can be converted using
a couple of utilities.

GCP 4.2 (available from compuserve or other ftp sites) can convert a GIF to
PC paintbrush .PCX files. From this point you can use Windows Paintbrush to
load the .PCX file and save as .BMP file.

The rest is easy.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (06/13/90)

In <1990Jun12.222700.2270@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ
Poffenberger) writes:

>I have come across a way to load GIF's as your desktop wallpaper in Windows
>3.0. Basically you need a .BMP file to do this, which can be converted using
>a couple of utilities.

>GCP 4.2 (available from compuserve or other ftp sites) can convert a GIF to
>PC paintbrush .PCX files. From this point you can use Windows Paintbrush to
>load the .PCX file and save as .BMP file.

gcp42s.arc is available via anonymous ftp from cica.cica.indiana.edu
[129.79.20.22] in ~ftp/pub/pc/win3.

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun12.222700.2270@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>GCP 4.2 (available from compuserve or other ftp sites) can convert a GIF to
>PC paintbrush .PCX files. From this point you can use Windows Paintbrush to
>load the .PCX file and save as .BMP file.

I tried this, but the translation process didn't seem to work that well.  If
I went from GIF->PCX->BMP I seemed to lose the picture quality when I reread
the PCX in paintbrush (PC paintbrush vs pbrush for windows?).  What worked
better was getting the GIF into paintbrush via the clipboard.  The only
remaining problem is the picture seems to get clipped by paintbrush (it's
OK in the clipboard) so my BMP didn't produce a full screen wallpaper.

>The rest is easy.

Oh, well.  How about some more hints for us dummies :-).

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (06/14/90)

I had the mentioned problem of things getting clipped when pasted into
pbrush from the clipboard. I found by accident that if you zoom out then paste
you get the whole thing BUT I had to paste twice for some strange reason that
I admit I just haven't looked into properly.

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (06/15/90)

In <7528@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:

> ...Using GCP
  The only
>remaining problem is the picture seems to get clipped by paintbrush (it's
>OK in the clipboard) so my BMP didn't produce a full screen wallpaper.

zoom out and THEN paste. This is documented btw.
--
amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Dr. Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (06/16/90)

In article <1990Jun14.143736.25369@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>I had the mentioned problem of things getting clipped when pasted into
>pbrush from the clipboard. I found by accident that if you zoom out then paste
>you get the whole thing BUT I had to paste twice for some strange reason that
>I admit I just haven't looked into properly.

This is a much confused issue because the user interface is too complicated.
When viewing/editing a picture in the Normal View (not zoomed out or in)
EVERYTHING is clipped to the window, including pasting.  To paste larger
images you must Zoom Out first as mentioned above.  When something is
pasted while zoomed out a rectangle the size of the image is placed in the
upper-left corner of the image.  You can move inside the rectangle and
drag it around just like the scissor tools in normal mode.  When the
rectangle is positioned, click *outside* of the rectangle to paste the
image down, just like the scissors in normal mode.  Selecting paste again
works "by accident" since Pasting will force the current object to be
pasted down.  All of this is documented in the manual, but it is a little
obtuse.

This will probably be one of the most common confusion for Paintbrush
users.

--Ken Sykes

The opinions expressed are mine and not those of my employer.