[comp.windows.ms] Actor, accessing *.lib and multitasking

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (06/27/90)

In article <19735.2687c692@oregon.uoregon.edu> kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
>I have a couple of questions about Actor 3.0. Is it possible to access standard
>library (those managed by  microsoft's lib manager versus DLL) in Actor 3.0.
>It happens that source code for the library may not be available, and
>recompiling it into DLL is out of the question.

Since Actor is an incrementally compiled language it is impossible to link
fully compiled libraries into the system.  The reason we can use DLL's is that
DLL's are loaded and resident in memory at the time Actor is executing.  The
same thing can not be done with standard libaries, thus the need to create them
as DLL's.

>  When I ran the demo program, the spining cube for example, and then click on
>the menus, the cube stops spining until I finish whateve answer the menu
>required. Why is it not multitasking while I answer the dialog box? The clock
>in the accesary always keeps ticking.

The cube demo is a funny thing.  What it does is use PeekMessage and GetMessage
to "take over" the message queue.  I believe that, when a menu choice is being
made, the message queue stops for a while until that command message can be
processed.  This is a guess since I've never really dived into the cube demo.

--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us