[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 on DOS

w-bethf@microsoft.UUCP (Elizabeth FOURNIER) (06/29/90)

In article <3130010@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
>Personally, I would not recommend, at this point, that you widely implement
>MSWindows for your MSDOS environment, considering your applications.
>
>The general guideline I have been developing and suggesting is:
>
>  If most of your work can be done with MSWindows applications, using no
>  more than 2 standard DOS applications, then MSWindows 3 is a great
>  and welcome interface.

This is interesting to hear.  I'm a Windows developer, and I develop
from inside Windows.  This means that at any given time, I am running
both Windows and DOS applications.  I have my compiler in a DOS window,
my DOS editor (Brief or vi) in a DOS full screen, and usually Windows
Word for documentation and maybe a couple of help files up.

While I admit I may have a higher-end machine than most (a Compaq 386,
20MHz machine with 5M RAM), I don't find I have any problems with my DOS
applications coexisting with my Windows applications.  And it allows me
to run multiple DOS applications at once, something I couldn't do before
I switched.

>not work well, if at all, under MSWindows.  You do not want to be having to
>go in and out of MSWindows.  It takes too much disc space and cpu and memory
>resources to be, in my opinion, justifiable UNLESS you can live in it
>virtually all the time.

This I can agree with.  Switching continuously between DOS and Windows
is a pain, because Windows does not boot up instantaneously.  I don't
find this to be a problem though, since you can do anything you can do
in DOS in Windows.  If nothing else, just start up a full screen DOS
session from within Windows!

..beth

--
My opinions are just that.  MINE!  And OPINIONS!
"Singed a bit, were you?" -- Wesley