[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 and IDE drives

rem@buengc.BU.EDU (Robert E. Mee) (06/28/90)

Robert F. Jones writes:

>	1)  What is the version of the AMI bios?  (xxxx-yyyy-mmddyy-Kx)
>	2)  Is the machine configured with an IDE drive?

Is there actually a problem with WIN 3.0 and IDE drives?
I have a 386SX machine (Phoenix bios) with a 40MB IDE drive.
I was thinking about buying Win 3.0. I guess I'll hold off.

Rob

bjones@ssc-vax.UUCP (Robert F. Jones) (06/30/90)

> Robert F. Jones writes:
>
> >	1)  What is the version of the AMI bios?  (xxxx-yyyy-mmddyy-Kx)
> >	2)  Is the machine configured with an IDE drive?
>
> Is there actually a problem with WIN 3.0 and IDE drives?
> I have a 386SX machine (Phoenix bios) with a 40MB IDE drive.
> I was thinking about buying Win 3.0. I guess I'll hold off.

No.  But there seems to be a problem with IDE drives and some older
versions of the AMI bios.  I have seen the problem show up as an
extreamly long time delay when Windows 3.0 uses it's swap file for
virtual memory.  Windows re-trys the I/O automatically.  Some other
programs will come back with the "Abort, Retry, Fail" type error
messages.

standard disclaimer applies
standard disclaimer applies ========================== phone: (206) 773-2102
uucp:  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bjones  or  ssc-vax!bjones@beaver.cs.washington.edu
snail: The Boeing Company, P.O. Box 3999, M/S 8K-04, Seattle, WA  98124-2499