[comp.windows.ms] PC-NFS / Windows 3 Compatibility

thorh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Thor Hallen) (06/08/90)

  My previous posting of a work-around to access network printers with
PC-NFS and Windows 3.0 was sketchy so here is a more detailed description.
My version of PC-NFS is 3.01 with MS-DOS 4.01 but I don't think this
is critical:

  1. Change prt * to prt -T30 * in your autoexec.bat file.
  2. Run nfsconf and setup the network printer for print after 5 minutes.
     ( Printing will actually occur in 30 seconds because of step 1 above. )
  3. If you have a postscript printer, select the postscript option
     before exiting the nfsconf program.
  4. Start windows and configure your printer as connected to LPT2.OS2
     ( If you access your printer as LPT3: through PC-NFS, use an
      editor to define LPT3.OS2 in your win.ini file using the LPT2.OS2
      definition as a model. This port will then appear as an option when
      you run setup or the control panel. )

  This configuration will enable access to network printers directly from
applications as if the printer was local. As previously mentioned, Sun is
working on an update for windows 3 compatibility.

	Thor Hallen
	Tektronix, Inc.

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (06/30/90)

In article <7629@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, thorh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Thor Hallen) writes:

>   My previous posting of a work-around to access network printers with
> PC-NFS and Windows 3.0 was sketchy so here is a more detailed description.
> My version of PC-NFS is 3.01 with MS-DOS 4.01 but I don't think this
> is critical:
>
>   1. Change prt * to prt -T30 * in your autoexec.bat file.

	We use:

		prt -T10 *

	My admittedly sketchy understanding of the prt statement is
	that it tells NFS to allow printing after XX seconds (default
	5 minutes), so, at least as far as I understand it, by setting
	-T10 instead of -T30, you "save" 20 seconds somewhere.
	Anybody know EXACTLY what's going on with the prt statement
	and NFS?

	Regards,
	Tony Brich