[comp.windows.ms] Sad

deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (06/09/90)

Alas, I am saddened once again...  Windows 3.0 is probably the nicest
working environment I've ever used on this heavy thing sitting next to my
bed, but it's the little things that frustrate me.  Just when I start
getting used to the mouse and hating the keyboard, I have to use the Shift
or Ctrl key in File Manager.  Or, to copy/paste.  Yeah, yeah -- it's a
small price to pay, but I THOUGHT that's why I bought a mouse with THREE
buttons?!  Don't you think Shift-Left-Button could be the Right-Button?
Or how about Ctrl-Left-Button being the Middle-Button?  Or how about,
dragging the highlight bar over text with the middle button "copies," then
pressing the right button "pastes?"  Hmm.. I suppose I could map a whole
bunch of macros, but that would involve key-strokes :-) . . .
Am I too used to XWindows?

Well, while we're on the subject...  If the generic SVGA driver which was
posted here seems to work fine, do you see any reason to download the SVGA
driver from the company which made my card?  Faster?  Less generic?  I
suppose it would be a good idea... maybe it's just late in the evening, and
I've had a long day...

-Dave
Set flame off
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (06/12/90)

# / hplsla:comp.windows.ms / deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) /  7:27 pm  Jun  8, 1990 /
# Alas, I am saddened once again...  Windows 3.0 is probably the nicest
# working environment I've ever used on this heavy thing sitting next to my
# bed, but it's the little things that frustrate me.  . . .
# Am I too used to XWindows?

In my opinion, yes, you are too use to a real window environment (X-Windows)
that show up many flaws in a pseudo window environment (MSWindows).  But, to
MicroSofts credit, their window environment as so drastically improved (from
version 1 to version 2, and now version 3), that it makes one far more
tolerant of its short comings (which use to be major, and are now mostly
minor) and thus able to work in it a while.  But my window environment of
choice on a PC is still DESQview, for then I do not expect quite so much from
it (as it is a text-based window environment, and provides better multi-
tasking than MSWindows) as I am use to in my UX-based X-Window (graphics-
oriented window) environment.  I am impatiently waiting for DESQview/X,
which will provide not on an X-server for the PC (in a multi-tasking,
windowing environment that will allow me to run old DOS programs) but will
also provide for X-clients on the PC.  But that is another issue...

In line with the "little things" that irritate me.  A simple one is the
copy/move under File Manager.  It is inconsistent.  If I select a file in
one directory and tell it to copy to another directory, if the two directories
are on the same drive it does a move.  (You have to use the CTRL key in
combination with the mouse to mean "copy").  But if the two directories are
on separate drives, then it does a copy.  (And I can't figure out how to make
it do a "move", that is copy from first directory on first drive to second
directory on second drive and then delete original.)  I would expect that
move is move (irregardless if it is same drive or not) and copy and copy
(irregardless if it is same drive or not).

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (06/13/90)

In article <3130005@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:

>In line with the "little things" that irritate me.  A simple one is the
>copy/move under File Manager.  It is inconsistent.  If I select a file in
>one directory and tell it to copy to another directory, if the two directories
>are on the same drive it does a move.  (You have to use the CTRL key in
>combination with the mouse to mean "copy").  But if the two directories are
>on separate drives, then it does a copy.  (And I can't figure out how to make

I respectfully disagree here.  This is consistant with XTREE, which will
not move (vs. copy) files across drives for safety reasons.

Tom Rombouts,  Torrance Techie  Voice: (213) 538-7108

(The above opinion is mine and does not necessarily represent the
 opinion of any known corporate entity.)

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (06/13/90)

Also, the Mac has been doing it in this way for many years.
From: chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman)
Date: 12 Jun 90 10:41 EDT
Subject: Re: Netware 386 drivers needed
Newsgroups: comp.windows.ms

New shell driver kit compatible with windows 3.0:

rodan.acs.syr.edu
monk.proteon.com

4 files: dswin*.zip

Gary Chapman, Academic Computing Facility, NYU
chapman@nyu.edu

michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael THURLKILL) (06/14/90)

In article <3130005@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
>In line with the "little things" that irritate me.  A simple one is the
>copy/move under File Manager.  It is inconsistent.  If I select a file in
>one directory and tell it to copy to another directory, if the two directories
>are on the same drive it does a move.  (You have to use the CTRL key in
>combination with the mouse to mean "copy").  But if the two directories are
>on separate drives, then it does a copy.  (And I can't figure out how to make
>it do a "move", that is copy from first directory on first drive to second
>directory on second drive and then delete original.)  I would expect that
>move is move (irregardless if it is same drive or not) and copy and copy
>(irregardless if it is same drive or not).

I remember hearing alot of discussion about this feature during
development. You may not necessarily agree with this, but it was
decided, from user tests, that when a person drags a file from one
place to another on the same drive, they usually want it moved,
and when they drag a file from one drive to another, they usually
want it copied. Therefore the FileManager tries to be smart.
If you want explicit control:
Ctrl-Drag copies
Alt-Drag  moves
This is true whether you are going local to local, remote to local,
local to remote, or remote to remote.

Mike Thurlkill

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. They should in no way be
miscontrued as being correct or in any way related to my employer.

pajerek@usenet@kadsma (Don Pajerek) (06/14/90)

In article <55208@microsoft.UUCP> michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael THURLKILL) writes:
>In article <3130005@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
>>In line with the "little things" that irritate me.  A simple one is the
>>copy/move under File Manager.  It is inconsistent.  If I select a file in
>>one directory and tell it to copy to another directory, if the two directories
>>are on the same drive it does a move.  (You have to use the CTRL key in
>>combination with the mouse to mean "copy").  But if the two directories are
>>on separate drives, then it does a copy.
>
>I remember hearing alot of discussion about this feature during
>development. You may not necessarily agree with this, but it was
>decided, from user tests, that when a person drags a file from one
>place to another on the same drive, they usually want it moved,
>and when they drag a file from one drive to another, they usually
>want it copied.
>
>Mike Thurlkill

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this also the way the
Macintosh 'Finder' works? If you drag from one folder to another on
the same drive, the file is moved. If you drag to a folder on another
drive, the file is copied.

Is this perhaps where the expectations came from in the tests run
by M'soft? Some of the subjects may have been exposed to the Mac...

Don Pajerek

jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (06/14/90)

Yes, that is how the Mac also works: dragging on the same drive == move.
Dragging to a different drive == copy.  But it's done this way because
it makes sense.  Most people probably don't want two copies of the same
file on the same drive. Instead, they want to move the file, to reorganize
their directories. On the other hand, quite often when you are dragging
a file to another drive, it is to a floppy, and you are making a backup or
copy.

Jim

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (06/30/90)

In article <9963@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) writes:
> Alas, I am saddened once again...  Windows 3.0 is probably the nicest
> working environment I've ever used on this heavy thing sitting next to my
> bed, but it's the little things that frustrate me.  Just when I start
> getting used to the mouse and hating the keyboard, I have to use the Shift
> or Ctrl key in File Manager.  Or, to copy/paste.  Yeah, yeah -- it's a
> small price to pay, but I THOUGHT that's why I bought a mouse with THREE
> buttons?!  Don't you think Shift-Left-Button could be the Right-Button?
> Or how about Ctrl-Left-Button being the Middle-Button?  Or how about,
> dragging the highlight bar over text with the middle button "copies," then
> pressing the right button "pastes?"

	But if MS gave us all that NOW, we wouldn't have reason to get
	excited about, and to buy, the next, new IMPROVED release of
        Windows.  Call me cynical, or just call  me  understanding.  I
        mean,  I  can't blame them, not really: they are, after all, a
        business enterprise....besides, the ultimate feature list
	takes time to deliver, right?  Any developer knows you can't
	give the user all that is wanted/needed in a first release,
	unless the scope of the project is very small and you have all
	the programmers you need to deliver the goods.  Even MS
	development is finite, so it's gonna take time to see
	full-featured Windows.

	Tony Brich