[comp.windows.ms] Win3.0 -32bit mode or 16bit protected?

c_leong@vaxa.uwa.oz (06/13/90)

Does anyone know whether programming Windows3.0 in the 386 mode uses the
processor in 32bit flat address space or are we still limited to mucking
about with segments and offsets..

wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun13.194358.1895@vaxa.uwa.oz> c_leong@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:

>Does anyone know whether programming Windows3.0 in the 386 mode uses the
>processor in 32bit flat address space or are we still limited to mucking
>about with segments and offsets..

There is only one API that I know of to Windows and its 16 bit.  If you
are looking for 32-bit flat programming you need to go to a diffferent
operating system like OS/2 version 2.0 (out soon) or Unix.  Supposidly
MicroSoft was going to make OS/2 be able to run Windows programs.  Has
anybody heard more about this???

-Dean Wallwey

pajerek@usenet@kadsma (Don Pajerek) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun13.194358.1895@vaxa.uwa.oz> c_leong@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:

>Does anyone know whether programming Windows3.0 in the 386 mode uses the
>processor in 32bit flat address space or are we still limited to mucking
>about with segments and offsets..

Windows 3.0 apps still use a 16-bit segment address. Of the various
Microsoft environments, the only one that supports the '0:32' memory
model is OS/2 ver 2.0.

Don Pajerek

doug@feedme.UUCP (Doug Salot) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun13.194358.1895@vaxa.uwa.oz> c_leong@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:
>Does anyone know whether programming Windows3.0 in the 386 mode uses the
>processor in 32bit flat address space or are we still limited to mucking
>about with segments and offsets..

The Windows kernel itself runs in a 32-bit flat-space and you can write
a flat 32-bit device driver, but the API is 16-bits and apps can be
V86 or 16-bit protected (or mixed, I believe).  I haven't seen the
DPMI spec yet, but it should support 32-bit protected-mode tasks.  So,
it's conceivable that you should be able to run 32-bit apps someday.

--
Doug Salot
doug@feedme.uucp || ...!{zardoz,spsd}!feedme!doug || doug%feedme@uunet.uu.net

harlow@plains.UUCP (Jay B. Harlow) (06/30/90)

In article <1990Jun13.194358.1895@vaxa.uwa.oz> c_leong@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:

>Does anyone know whether programming Windows3.0 in the 386 mode uses the
>processor in 32bit flat address space or are we still limited to mucking
>about with segments and offsets..

Hello,
  I have the Windows 3.0 Programmers Referance Manual (MS Press), boy is
there a lot of stuff in it ;-).  Any way the interface is 16:16 to be
compatible with the current windows interface.  MS does give you some help,
one of the last chapters (appendix?) describes the 32bit dll, which
supports mapping 0:32 (actually 16:32) memory addresses to 16:16 address
	(you still need one or two segments for 32bit flat address, but the
	addresses in that segment start at zero so you don't notice it....)
to be passed to The Windows API.  Which means with a little work on
somebodies part you can write a library & helper segment so you could
create 32bit flat programs that will run properly under Windows 3.0,
granted you will have a speed hit on the helper code. But it is workable....

btw the 32 bit dll apparently only avaible with the Windows 3.0 SDK.

			Hope This Helps ;-)
			Jay B. Harlow

so who wants to write a 32bit lib mapping X-Windows to Windows 3.0 ;-)
--
		Jay B. Harlow	<harlow@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!harlow (UUCP)	harlow@plains (Bitnet)

	      What's the number for Holodiction Anonymous?