[comp.windows.ms] ATI Announces Support for Windows 3

gharris@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (George Harris) (06/29/90)

This is from a letter that I received yesterday from ATI.

1 June 1990        ATI ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR WINDOWS 3

ATI Technologies Inc. is please to respond to user requests for
information regarding Windows 3.0 drivers to support the high
resolution display modes on our video adapters.

The following drivers will be available by the end of June:

     ATI mode 54 - 800*600*16 colors, planar (VGA EDGE, VGAWONDER)

     ATI mode 55 - 1024*768*16 colors, planar (VGAWONDER512 V4 & V5).

Please note that mode 55 is supported on V4 and later versions of the
VGAWONDER (identifiable by the product name silk screened near the
card edge connector and by the label printed on the BIOS EEPROMs) with
512Kb RAM installed.

These initial drivers will be contained on a sindle low density disk
with installation instructions (VDRIVER not required), the virtual
display device driver and the OEMSETUP.INF file.  This disk will be
available at the end of July, and will be shipped free on request to
VGA EDGE, VGAWONDER and OEM users.  The VGAWONDER+ will include
these drivers and an updated installation utility on the accompanying
four disk set.

The drivers will be available for downloading from the ATI bulletin
board at (416)-756-4591 by June 20, and will also be posted on
Compuserve (GO MSWIN, section 17).

Drivers for other resolutions (800*600*256 colors, 1024*768 for
VGAWONDER V3) and other products (VIP, EGAWONDER, EGAWONDER800 and
EGAWONDER800+) will be announced when available.

Users who wish to receive the Windows 3.0 driver disk only, may place
an order by calling (416)-756-0718 ext. 550 and leaving their name and
address on our voicemail system.  The disk will be mailed beginning
in July.  If you do not have a touchtone phone you may download the
drivers from our BBS or call Technical Support at (416)-756-0711.

_________________

Please note that I do not work for ATI.  I just received this letter, and
since I did not see any other messages showing how to get the drivers from
ATI, I decided to send the letter to the net.  I tried to type the letter in
verbatim, but I'm only human, so there may be some mistakes.

! Georgia Tech Basketball - 1990 ACC Champs, 1990 Final Four, 1990 TSN PotY  !
! Please Don't leave Dennis & Kenny.  Stay for a try for 1991 Nat'l Champs   !
! gharris@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (George Harris)  Have a Buzzy Day         !

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/30/90)

How about fonts? Orchid includes fonts with the Prodesigner II
Win 3 drivers. Drivers without fonts do not comprise a complete
support offering in my opinion.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
PALASM 90: it's not the same old PALASM any more!

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (07/01/90)

> phil@pepsi.amd.com writes:
>
> How about fonts? Orchid includes fonts with the Prodesigner II
> Win 3 drivers. Drivers without fonts do not comprise a complete
> support offering in my opinion.

     Windows 3.0 is shipped with a set of sceen fonts which are very suitable
for use with the 800x600 and 1024x768 high resolution modes.  These fonts are
listed as "8514" or "8514/a" fonts, and are designed for the IBM 8514/a card
and monitor which give 1024x768 resolution.  The instructions from ATI about
installing the drivers tell you to copy the drivers into the appropriate
position on your hard drive, and then to modify the system.ini file to use the
new drivers.  However, they don't tell you how to install the 8514/a fonts.
Unfortunately, the Windows 3.0 setup program installs fonts and drivers as a
package, so if you specify an 8514/a display, you get both the fonts and
drivers installed together in the appropriate lines of the system.ini file.
After a bit of fiddling, I worked out the following method of getting the
8514/a fonts with the ATI high resolution drivers.  If there is an easier way
or something that I have missed, please post it.

1) Run the Windows Setup program from DOS.  Lie to it and tell it that you have
an 8514/a display.  It will modify the system.ini file so that the 8514/a fonts
and drivers are installed.

2) Do *not* try to run Windows - needless to say, the 8514/a drivers do nothing
when you have a Super VGA card in your machine.

3) Use a text editor to change the system.ini file so that the correct drivers
are called up (see the ATI instructions).

4) Run Windows and enjoy!  With WINWORD and the 1024 x 768 display, you can see
over 10 inches of paper in a right-left direction.

     The 8514/a fonts are designed for a 1024x768 display, but also work fine
for an 800x600 display.  I have just installed the ATI 1024 x 768 driver, and
have had absolutely no trouble.  It is a better driver than that which is
available for Windows 2.  Screen re-draws are slower than in the standard VGA
mode, but probably only in proportion to the number of pixels which have to be
redrawn.  Scrolling in WINWORD is good: a fraction of a second per line.
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP