[comp.windows.ms] AT&T 6386 WGS / 16mhz / 1mb Config. Problem

swanie@milton.acs.washington.edu (Eric Swansen) (06/15/90)

I currently own an AT&T 6386 WGS that clips along at 16Mhz, and has
1 mb of RAM.  The CPU is a 386.

I am trying to run MS-Windows v3. in either the standard or 386 mode
but I wont allow me to do so. (I tried the /3 and /S switches with a
'I can't do that ' type of message.

I think the problem lies in AT&T's memory configuration.
When booting I see 640k of "base" memory, 0k of extended memory and
384k of "dedicated" memory. (I also have a Paradise VGA1024 card with
512k on board if that matters).

What do I need to run windows in 386 mode via switch or std. mode ?
Is there some software patch to convert memory ?
Do I need to add RAM ?
To AT&T guru's ,what kind of RAM and how much ?
               , any special settings needed ?

Since I'm an infrequent RN user, please post direct to my E-Mail
address, rather than posting to the newsgroup....

Thanx,
----
Eric C. Swansen
swanie@milton.u.washington.edu
.

gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Patrick Steffler) (06/15/90)

In article <4152@milton.acs.washington.edu> swanie@milton.acs.washington.edu (Eric Swansen) writes:
>When booting I see 640k of "base" memory, 0k of extended memory and
>384k of "dedicated" memory. (I also have a Paradise VGA1024 card with
>512k on board if that matters).

You can't run enhanced mode without at least 1Mb of extended memory.  The
"dedicated 385Kb" is probably (likely) shadow RAM into which the BIOS is
loaded in order to speed access to system routines.  Otherwise, the slow
16 bit wide ROM would make the system crawl.

>What do I need to run windows in 386 mode via switch or std. mode ?
>Do I need to add RAM ?

More memory helps a great deal, or run 286 protect mode just as good IMHO
unless you are running DOS apps.

--
Co-Op    _____           "Bo doesn't know software" - George Brett
Scum   _/|__Q_\___

dhamija@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Dinesh Dhamija) (07/02/90)

This is my first posting on news, so forgive any obvious mistakes in protocol.

I just received my (eagerly awaited) upgrade to Windows 3.0 and I installed it
on my EVEREX 1800A 286 10 MHz computer with a 40 Mg ST251 seagate drive, 2 Mg
of memory, configured as 1280 K extended and 128K expanded (besides 640K con)
, VEGA VGA graphics card from Video 7, NEC MS/II monitor.
I understand that windows should run in standard mode on the above configuration
(oops, I have an AMI (American Megatrends BIOS, dated 03/09/87). Every time I
type win (or win /r), I get microsoft's logo and then it's back to the DOS
prompt. I tried disabling my nightmarish CONFIG.SYS, tried MS-DOS 3.3, IBM
DOS 3.3, and my regular COMPAQ DOS 3.2 with no difference. It only runs in

real mode. (OOps, The previous paranthesis should say win /s, not win /r,
please bear with me, I am not a "vi" kind of guy). I have tried including
the stacks 9,192 command in my CONFIG.SYS, I have modified my SYSTEM.INI
to include PadHeapContents=1, or something like that in the [standard] section
as microsoft recommends, NOTHING WORKS!

Can anyone help? I shall admit to my Hall of Computer Guru's Fame, anyone
with an answer to my problem. Thanks.

You may also reach me at the following E-MAIL addresses, besides this one
DINESH@CUBIX.ENT.OHIOU.EDU
DHAMIJA@OUACCVMB.BITNET