[comp.windows.ms] Windows Suggestions

jmorriso@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (07/02/90)

Well, now that I have Windows, I guess I should be reading this newsgroup.
I have seen a lot of postings of problems with windows. Well, I haven't
really had any!! The com port works with the modem. Printers ok. There
are bugs of course, but none of Micrsofts stuff seems to crash the system.
I am running in standard mode, and I have been pretty impressed with
performance, and the multitasking, and all I have is 1 Meg of extended memory
bove 640k convetnional. For my needs, this works pretty good.

Now for the griping!!! I have used Unix and DOS for quite a while now,
and I can still do alot of things faster and easier in a command line
format. Standard mode will not let you run a shell in a window. But that
is not really all of the point: Windows can offer a whole new 'operating
system' to perform tasks better than an equivalent DOS one. If there were
a shell that was a WIndows app, and other programs compiled to run under
windows, BUT just not open any windows! They would just use the shell as
a tty This would give a lot of programs the benefit of memory management,
+ the simplicity of command line interfaces. DOS has it's roots in
command.com and many people are familiar
enough with it to be comfortable with it. The file manager is kinda cute,
but it is limited: you can't even mark groups of files for moving/deletion,
and if you delete a single file, the window comes back with the cursor
back up at the top of the window, nowhere near where you changed the file!

Even if the file manager was spruced up a bit, I still like shells better
for SOME, but not all tasks. The X WIndows approach is good: you can
have windows, but you can still have your shells around. File manager is
like X Tree or Norton Commander or PCTools. I don't like them. I think
there are a lot of 'power users' and even others who can operate much better
with a shell. Even OS/2 has its own shell for equivalent dos commands
like sort and find etc. Some programs do not benefit from windows.
Good utilies like PKZip would be better off running in protected mode
and having a few system routines linked in. A quick recompile and link
would be all that's necessary for many programs to have better memory,
and run better with other windwos programs.

BAsically I like WIndows. It runs well in standard mode. The applications
that come with it are quite good. The terminal is very simple, but because
it multitasks, and cooperates with other programs, the functionality of
the program is greater than if it were by itself. This is just one example
of the kind of 'small is better' that Gates is rambling on about.
I still maintain that alot of utilies are better from command line. A good
feature that would be useful for windowless windows apps (!!) would be
as filters that could be installed  on programs, or could work with the
clipbaord somehow:
	Suppose some text needs to be sorted in Write or Notepad.
	You write a filter that would take arguments froms a command line,
	(to be specified by a generic dialog box, or the windows app)
	It would then run as a pipeline, receiving input from whatever
	was selected, and then it would go back into the original
	program, either inserting or overwriting the original input.
	Now instead of this being a thousand line program, this would
	be a simple, utility that would not need the entire SDK to write.
	A C compiler, a windows linker, and some basic libraries that
	any program would need.
If anyone is familiar with Sun's Suntools Window system, this is
just what a number of programs did. This was not followed up on though
by Sun or others.
I also think that these Suntool programs had some of their pull-down
menus defined at run-time, so filters could be defined and changed by the
user. It seems to me that this is more in tune with an object-oriented
philosophy of programming that everyone is ga-ga about these days.

I would appreciate feedback on these ideas. Maybe shells aren't for everyone,
but I think that it would be very convenient to all users to be able
to install their own utilities. Let the application take care of the inter-
face and let filters operate on the data represented by the application.

John Paul Morrison

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (07/02/90)

In article <1296@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> jmorriso@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:

>enough with it to be comfortable with it. The file manager is kinda cute,
>but it is limited: you can't even mark groups of files for moving/deletion,

Hold down the control key when clicking on the files.  You can mark groups
for moving/copying/deleting.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/03/90)

Or better yet, read the manual?

Milan
.