[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 & 386SX Compatibility Problems????

garys@techbook.com (Gary Scott) (06/09/90)

We have an ATI 386SX machine with 4MB of memory and we cannot get 3.0 to run
on this box. Real mode runs but enhanced mode locks up during the startup
routine, apparently when it tries to shift to protected mode. We have called
ATI and they were NO HELP.

Has anyone else experienced problems running 3.0 in enhanced mode on an SX
machine??

We have sucessfully installed 3.0 on ten other machines including an sx with
a pheonix bios without any serious problems so I doubt the problem is
incorrect installation.

gary l. scott
Decision Technology

garys@techbook.com
--
Gary L. Scott			(503) 627-0149
Decision Technology		tektronix!nosun!tessi!techbook!garys

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (07/03/90)

In article <548@techbook.com> garys@techbook.com (Gary Scott) writes:
>We have an ATI 386SX machine with 4MB of memory and we cannot get 3.0 to run
>on this box. Real mode runs but enhanced mode locks up during the startup
>routine, apparently when it tries to shift to protected mode. We have called
>ATI and they were NO HELP.

	Could be that your memory is configured as EXPANDED memory, as
	opposed to EXTENDED memory, in which case, Windows cannot take
	advantage of anything you have over 640kb.  Check your
	configuration.  If it's on a board, i.e., Intel AboveBoard,
	then you probably have to set a switch somewhere.

	Another problem might with ROM BIOS on your ATI, but check
	memory first, then worry about the ROM BIOS.

	Best regards,
	Leo and Tony, Olivetti