[comp.windows.ms] Actor

harnyo@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (02/03/89)

I have been looking for a development toolkit for writing
Microsoft Windows software. There are two of them available
(as far as I know). One is the original development toolkit
from Microsoft itself. The other one is called ACTOR.

I am not familiar with either of them. Will somebody please
comment on this ! Thanks.

- Andy

n.b : Do I need to get a 'C' compiler as well ?

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (02/07/89)

In article <7592@netnews.upenn.edu>, harnyo@grad1.cis.upenn.edu writes:

> I have been looking for a development toolkit for writing
> Microsoft Windows software. There are two of them available
> (as far as I know). One is the original development toolkit
> from Microsoft itself. The other one is called ACTOR.
>
> I am not familiar with either of them. Will somebody please
> comment on this ! Thanks.
>
> n.b : Do I need to get a 'C' compiler as well ?

The two kits (Actor is not really a kit, but I will refer to it that way) vary
greatly.  The Microsoft SDK is a traditional programming tool; it requires C
(probably Microsoft C 5.1, although Lattice C is also supposed to be
compatible), and development of the application is conducted by writing C
programs that call the appropriate SDK functions.  There are nearly 400
(approximately) function calls in the SDK, and until you learn it well, it is
almost like programming in a difference language.  The system is very
powerful; don't expect to learn it overnight.

Actor is an object oriented language which, if you are not familiar with
object oriented programming, will take you a while to learn.  It has a few
disadvantages -- programs are large; there is a bit of a learning curve --
however, it is an excellent system which I highly recommend.  On the upside,
no C compiler is needed, although the Microsoft SDK would be a usefull tool to
have, since Actor can call the SDK functions and make use of the SDK resource
compiler.  But, it is not required.  To give you an idea of the power Actor
makes available: for kicks, I wrote a short program that makes a cube bounce
around inside a window.  A mouse-click will stop the cube; another will
restart it.  It took 12 lines of Actor code; in C, it would have taken at
least a couple pages with all the overhead.

By the way, if you are a student, I believe the Whitewater Group is still
offering an 80% discount to students -- which means you could get Actor for
only $100.

I suppose I would recommend the SDK if you are planning on writing several
smaller programs, such as utilities, communication packages, or programs that
must not use much memory.  If you are planning larger applications, or
something that borders on artificial intelligence, or research, or if you just
want to have a "Really Great" language to work with, I would recommend Actor.
Personally, I can't imagine living without both of them...

Zacharias J. Beckman   ...   gatech!mdt!pgthor!dev386!beckman
                       ...   uunet!mcrware!pgthor!dev386!beckman
(319) 354-5116               (319) 351-1993

Blessed are the meek for they shall inhibit the earth.

mathu@sssab.se (Mats Hultqvist) (09/25/89)

Does anyone know about the program Actor for development of Windows programs?

Is it a good program for development, has it some disadvantages?

Is it possible to generate C code with it?

	/MHulan		mathu@sssab.se

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep25.152321.3628@sssab.se> mathu@sssab.se (Mats Hultqvist) writes:
>Does anyone know about the program Actor for development of Windows programs?

Yep.  Sure do.

>Is it a good program for development, has it some disadvantages?

I think so.  I've never tried programming in C with Windows (though I'm in the
process of getting myself set up to do so).  However, Actor has been very easy
to use and I've not experienced any problems with memory so far.  The browser
is great for being able to quickly write and "compile" code (Actor produces
a compiled threaded code).

The other handy thing is that when you make a change to the characteristics
of a Window you can see that change immediatly in the development environment
and see what kind of effect your code will have on the system.

If you need to know more about the product feel free to call 1-800-869-1144
and talk to one of the sales reps.  They could also send you the full info
package.

>Is it possible to generate C code with it?

Nope.  No way to do this in Actor's current incarnation.  We've not quite made
that a priority, but we're toying with the idea.

--
"I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends call it."
					-Edgar Allen Poe

Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

fender@casaba.ucsb.edu (Chen, John Yun-kuang) (10/14/89)

If you are a student, you can buy actor for the low academic price of $99.
All you have to do is xerox your reg card or something like that.  I bought
one & I like it very much, although I haven't gotten very far because I've
been very busy.

Does anyone have any good example source code to look at?

--
John Chen  c/o Assoc. for Computing Machinery| X, emacs, bash, gnus, rmail,
University of California at Santa Barbara    | !vi, !suntools, !csh, !mail

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (10/19/89)

In article <2516@hub.UUCP> fender@cornu.ucsb.edu writes:

>Does anyone have any good example source code to look at?

We have a BBS here at Whitewater that has source code on it for various
things.  We also have a disk with a program called PC-Project and another
with a program called Chart that are sample apps written in Actor.
--

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (10/20/89)

In article <2516@hub.UUCP>, fender@casaba.ucsb.edu (Chen, John Yun-kuang) writes:
> If you are a student, you can buy actor for the low academic price of $99.
> All you have to do is xerox your reg card or something like that.  I bought
> one & I like it very much, although I haven't gotten very far because I've
> been very busy.
>
> Does anyone have any good example source code to look at?

I've also looked at Actor, but have been hampered by 3 problems:

1.  The manual doesn't contain nearly enough full examples. That' sone of the
advantages of the various books on writing Windows applications in C.

2.  Even trivial applications (like Scribble in the manual) require 200k of
memory on a 286.

3.  Actor won't run on my 386. It says there is insufficient memory, even with
350+k of conventional memory and 2000k of EMS.

Anyone else got some comments?
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (01/09/90)

Being eligable for the educational discount, I just ordered a copy of
ACTOR to play with.  If anyone out there would like to share some hints
or interesting code they've written, please mail or post.
I'm planning on setting up an 'artificial world' where one process/window
will display a field/village, and entities such as bunnys/foxes or people/
tanks will have there own window showing local information.  The entities
would communicate with the world via messages to gather information and
tell the world they would like to move, eat, shoot, etc.  I could modify it
to be an evolution simulator, a robot combat game (with a status panel
for each robot), or a remote lunar explorer simulator.
What these all have in common is a bunch of windows which talk to each
other.  I'm hoping the OOPSness fits in well with this.  Has anyone done
this sort of thing?

-gyug
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@portia.stanford.edu

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (01/10/90)

In article <8059@portia.Stanford.EDU> gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
>Being eligable for the educational discount, I just ordered a copy of
>ACTOR to play with.  If anyone out there would like to share some hints
>or interesting code they've written, please mail or post.

Paul,
	We've got a BBS with some sample code/programs on it.  The number is
(708) 328-9442.  You can get some stuff from there.  Other than that, we've
not really posted code to any other places.  You can get the book "Object
Oriented Programming Featuring Actor" written by Marty Franz and published
by Scott, Foresman and Co.  It's out there and has a few sample programs/
methods that you can look at.  Not to mention a "textbook" oproach to object
oriented programming.
--
"I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends call it."
					-Edgar Allen Poe

Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

bill@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (William Tsai) (07/03/90)

This had came up before, but I didn't catch any answers.
Does anybody have experience with Actor?  What do you
think about it?  Is it powerful enough to write general
applications?  Is it stable?  Please e-mail.

bill@vax1.udel.edu

--
        Bill Tsai        |  bill@vax1.udel.EDU       bill@delmarva.UUCP
 University of Delaware  |    ..@sun.udel.EDU        ffo30260@udelvm.bitnet