[comp.windows.ms] Odd Colors in a DOS window

mg15@prism.gatech.EDU (Glynn,Mike) (06/29/90)

	Hello out there,
   I just got Windows 3.0 the other day and I like it. I like it alot!
The only thing I don't like is the colors I get when I open a DOS window.
The colors are washed-out blue with a bright-green border...The colors are
normal if I use ALT-ENTER to make the window smaller but if I go back to full
screen the odd colors are back. I am at a loss as how to change them.
Any help would be appriciated...

							Thanks,
							Mike
P.S. the hardware is an IBM PS/2 Model 80 with plenty of ram
     and I use an 8514/a card with 1 Meg on it.
P.S.S I have not seen this problem on other machines with out the 8514 card.

michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael THURLKILL) (07/04/90)

In article <10920@hydra.gatech.EDU> mg15@prism.gatech.EDU (Glynn,Mike) writes:

>	Hello out there,
>   I just got Windows 3.0 the other day and I like it. I like it alot!
>The only thing I don't like is the colors I get when I open a DOS window.
>The colors are washed-out blue with a bright-green border...The colors are
>normal if I use ALT-ENTER to make the window smaller but if I go back to full
>screen the odd colors are back. I am at a loss as how to change them.
>Any help would be appriciated...
>
>P.S. the hardware is an IBM PS/2 Model 80 with plenty of ram
>     and I use an 8514/a card with 1 Meg on it.
>P.S.S I have not seen this problem on other machines with out the 8514 card.

Um, yes. This is a bug that was caught just recently. As you've
discovered, when running DOS apps in a window on the 8514, all low
intensity colors are incorrectly mapped to high intensity. Result: all
colors appear as high intensity. The colors are ok when running full screen
because the Windows display driver is not handling the screen i/o.

I don't know why it was missed, but it should be fixed 'in the next
release'.

Mike Thurlkill

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. They shouldn't be mis-contrued as
being correct or having any relation to my employer.