[comp.windows.ms] Super VGA Modes for Windows

mikew@athena.mit.edu (Michael B Williams) (07/04/90)

I'm trying to get the generic Super VGA driver that was posted a while ago to
work on a friend's machine.  He doesn't know the manufacturer of the graphics
board, but he does know that it uses a Tseng Labs chip set.  The documentation
for the board is conspicuously absent.  Could those users of Tseng Labs-based
graphics boards find out what mode number gives 800x600x16 graphics?  A few
manufacturers that use Tseng Labs chips are Orchid, Genoa, Sota, and STB.  If
you have one of these boards, it would be a great help if you could look up
the mode number.

Alternatively, is anyone aware of a Windows 3.0 driver specific to one of these
boards?  Perhaps one of the above manufacturers runs a BBS from which we could
download it.

Thanks in advance,
Michael B. Williams
--
                                                     ___
Michael B. Williams		      |	       /|  /|   )|  /|  /

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (07/05/90)

mikew@athena.mit.edu (Michael B Williams) writes:

>I'm trying to get the generic Super VGA driver that was posted a while ago to
>work on a friend's machine.  He doesn't know the manufacturer of the graphics
>board, but he does know that it uses a Tseng Labs chip set.  The documentation
>for the board is conspicuously absent.  Could those users of Tseng Labs-based
>graphics boards find out what mode number gives 800x600x16 graphics?  A few
>manufacturers that use Tseng Labs chips are Orchid, Genoa, Sota, and STB.  If
>you have one of these boards, it would be a great help if you could look up
>the mode number.

I use a cheap super VGA card which calls itself OPTIMA 1024/A PLUS. It
is based on the Tseng chip set. It comes with 512K of memory and is
able to give a 800*600 picture with 256 colors.

I use it with on a 386/25 machine under Windows 3 in enhanced mode,
using the SV800 driver which was posted here. I use the mode number
41 (dezimal). This fits to the bios mode number 29 (sedezimal), which
stands for 800*600*16 graphics mode, in my documentation of the
OPTIMA card.

Wolfgang Strobl

PS: I am still waiting for a 640*480*256 (or better: 800*600*256)
driver for Windows 3 and this card. Does anybody know of such
a driver and from where I could get it?