[comp.windows.ms] Access d000:0 in Win3.0 and Actor3.0?

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu (07/02/90)

Does anybody know how to access specific physical memory address when
programming in windows and/or Actor?

Some devices are configured to use a block of memory at specific address
(like a 64k segment starting at d000:0 for a frame grabber's frame buffer).
Does window 3.0 in 386 enhenced mode manage all the free memory address between
a000:0 and ffff:0. How does one instruct win3.0's memory manager stay out of
the d000 segment, and how does a process gain access to this specific block of
memory space thru the memory manager? And how can I access d000:0 in Actor 3.0?

Thanks in advance

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/06/90)

In article <19756.268e43d7@oregon.uoregon.edu> kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
>Does anybody know how to access specific physical memory address when
>programming in windows and/or Actor?
>
>Some devices are configured to use a block of memory at specific address
>(like a 64k segment starting at d000:0 for a frame grabber's frame buffer).
>Does window 3.0 in 386 enhenced mode manage all the free memory address between
>a000:0 and ffff:0. How does one instruct win3.0's memory manager stay out of
>the d000 segment, and how does a process gain access to this specific block of
>memory space thru the memory manager? And how can I access d000:0 in Actor 3.0?

Well, there are a few ways you can get at data in a physical address.  If you
want to get a single word or long at a memory address use the wordAt or
longAt methods of the Long class.  Basically, if I say wordAt(d0000000), I
will get the word at that address.

Now, we have also added a method called memCpy (I think that was the name).
This is an Object method.  Basically you can give a long address as the
first argument and you can give a pointer to an Actor object (e.g. an Array
or a Struct) as the second argument and copy a block of memory into something
easier to manipulate.

Pretty cool, eh?
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us