[comp.windows.ms] MS Windows Help format

jmorriso@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (07/03/90)

Does anyone know what format MS WIndows uses for its Hypertext like
help system? And what applications are there that will let me write
help files? Please don't tell me I need the SDK!! The functionality
built into it seems great for writing down a mini database that I
could use to keep track of details, or give to other people to get
them going on things.

Help part two: I installed Excel, and I can't get it to use its help
file (MS Windows 2.x WHELP format). I tried running WHELP with a command
argument having the excel help file name, but it doesn't seem
to recognize the command arguments. The WHELP program was installed
by MS Word for Windows. Excel didn't install one. Does anyone know
how I can get Excel's help running? Or better yet convert the old
help file into the new WINHELP format.

Thanks
jp

johnha@microsoft.UUCP (John HAGERSON) (07/04/90)

You said "don't tell me to get the SDK," but almost all the tools
necessary to create Help files are there.  An RTF-aware (Rich Text
Format) word processor is not included; Word for Windows is recommended
for that purpose.

The process is quite straightforward, but, like so much involved with
Windows programming, quite involved.  You have to lay out the text,
determine where the jumps are and all the destinations.  You then code
this information in the word processor and a compiler spits out the
Help file for Windows Help.

John Hagerson

Discliamer:  I don't speak for Microsoft, and it doesn't speak for me.

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (07/05/90)

In article <1298@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> jmorriso@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:
>Help part two: I installed Excel, and I can't get it to use its help
>file (MS Windows 2.x WHELP format). I tried running WHELP with a command

I called MS on that, and they "are aware of the problem, and will send the fix
out to registered users."

I'm still waiting, however.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

fraley@hprnd.HP.COM (Andy Fraley) (07/06/90)

> Does anyone know what format MS WIndows uses for its Hypertext like
> help system? And what applications are there that will let me write
> help files? Please don't tell me I need the SDK!! The functionality
> built into it seems great for writing down a mini database that I
> could use to keep track of details, or give to other people to get
> them going on things.

The help file source is in RTF (Rich Text Format), a format writable
from Microsoft Word for Windows.  The unfortunate part is that you
need the SDK's HC.EXE (Help Compiler) to compile the .RTF file to
.HLP.  You also need to know a fair amount about the RTF commands
needed for the different help features.  This is all documented in the
SDK manuals.

> Thanks
> jp

-Andy Fraley