[comp.windows.ms] ScreenDump on Window 3.0

adrian@zap.sw.mcc.com (Adrian Lao) (07/03/90)

Does anybody know is there a program to do a screendump or window dump on
Window 3.0?

Thank you.

Adrian
adrian@sw.mcc.com

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) (07/03/90)

In article <3940@zap.sw.mcc.com> adrian@zap.sw.mcc.com (Adrian Lao) writes:

>Does anybody know is there a program to do a screendump or window dump on
>Window 3.0?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Adrian
>adrian@sw.mcc.com

I just downloaded this message from GEnie and haven't had a chance to verify
its accuracy, but I do like GCP (as I've mentioned before in this group) and
have uploaded the shareware version to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Hopefully it
will appear there soon.

Capturing and printing Windows v3.00 windows and screens --

	If you read pages 58-60 of the Windows v3.00 manual, it states
(incorrectly) that you can capture screens and windows in .BMP format.
Unfortunately, it actually captures screens and stores them in a .CLP
format which is incompatible with .BMP. And the Clipboard lacks any
print facility..

	So how do you do it? Well, I have found a rather roundabout
way to do it.

	If you just want to get a screen or window captured and printed,
bring up Windows in standard or 386 mode, and press the print screen
key to capture the entire window, or Alt-Print Screen to capture only
the currently active window. Next, bring up GCP (ignore the warning
message if you haven't "marked" GCP) and use the Edit Paste option to
copy the contents of the clipboard into GCP. (You can't paste a whole
screen into PC Paintbrush directly, it clips the picture.) Then use
GCP's Save As function to save the captured screen to a .PCX file,
saving the colors by selecting the default # of planes.

	Then you bring up PC Paintbrush and load the file to print it.
Set up your laser printer for 300 dots per inch and Landscape mode..
Set up dot matrix printers similarly (high res and landscape).. Then
you can use PC Paintbrush to print the file.

	If you want a black and white image that you can use in Write,
PageMaker, CorelDraw, etc., it gets a bit more complicated. First of
all, you should save your current Windows color scheme by using the
control panel. Pick a name and save it. Then you must use the Notepad
editor to edit two files. First, edit the CONTROL.INI file, and remove
the color scheme name you just created from the line that says
"Color Schemes=". Then save this file and edit the WIN.INI file,
removing the "[colors]" section and replacing it with the WINB&W.CLR
file contained in this ZIP file. You have to edit WIN.INI rather than
CONTROL.INI or use the control panel, as there are several items which
cannot be set directly. Save the WIN.INI and reboot Windows to bring up
the new colors.

	Now you are ready to capture your screen, using the same process
as with the color screens, but specify 1 plane for the PCX output file.
You will have to edit the file a bit, as there is currently no way to alter
the colors of the up/down arrow buttons in the scroll bar and menu bar.
(The other colors should be black and white for the most part, although
some programs still use color for some things, which you may also have to
edit.) (Windows changes colors to solid black.)

	After you have to file edited, you can save it and print it or
recapture the screen (using the "View Picture" function of PC Paintbrush
and the Print Screen key) to copy it to the clipboard for pasting to
other apps.

	You need to have adequate memory and need to be in standard or
386 mode to do these things. After saving your file, use GCP's "Empty
Clipboard" command to clear out more memory which you will need for
PC Paintbrush. If you have a high resolution 256 color driver, you will
need a lot of free extended or expanded memory to capture a whole screen.

	When you are finished, edit the WIN.INI file, removing the B&W
colors you installed before. Then run the control panel and select your
old color scheme which you saved before.

	In addition to the WINB&W.CLR file, there is also a WINCLR.CLR
file and a WINCLR.CTL file. The former is a WIN.INI version of my
color setup (you might want to check it out) and the .CTL file is a
version to add it as a color scheme for CONTROL.INI.

[NOTE: I haven't included these files in this message -- rdg]

	Well, that's it.. Isn't it simple?? But at least there is a way!
Hopefully Microsoft will fix the clipboard to save files in .BMP format
to bypass all this other stuff, in the meantime, GCP comes to the
rescue! Also, note that GCP professional v4.20's .BMP format is not
compatible with the new .BMP format.

	The current shareware version (v4.20SW) as well as other files
and messages re: Windows and Synergistic Enterprises programs are available
on the Synergistic Enterprises BBS at (213) 653-6398. (300/1200/2400 baud,
8 bits, no parity, 24 hrs.)

	The professional version of GCP (v4.20) is available for $60
(plus tax if you're in Calif.) plus $5 for COD orders by calling the
message machine line below. Or you can save $5 by ordering direct by
sending your check and order to the address listed. The new versions
will NOT be released as shareware, but current shareware users will be
eligable for updates and/or upgrades.

	For more information, call the BBS system. Look for W3GCP.TXT,
and UPGRADES.TXT and download them. (Use "D filename" at the main menu
prompt.) READ THE MESSAGES AS YOU LOG ON, IT WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND
AGONY... (Read the bulletins, too...)

					--- Mr. Kim Levitt
					    Synergistic Enterprises
					    8033 Sunset Blvd., #975
					    Los Angeles, CA 90046
					    (213) 852-1688 (messages)
					    (213) 653-6398 (BBS)

	GCP tm is a registered trademark of Synergistic Enterprises.

Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (07/03/90)

adrian@zap.sw.mcc.com (Adrian Lao) writes:

>Does anybody know is there a program to do a screendump or window dump on
>Window 3.0?

Just hit the print key to put a bitmap of the full screen into the
clipboard, insert it into a new pbrush file and print it from there.
Typing Alt-print does the same with the active window only.

I would like to have a print function in the clipboard viewer.

Wolfgang Strobl

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (07/04/90)

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) writes:

>In article <3940@zap.sw.mcc.com> adrian@zap.sw.mcc.com (Adrian Lao) writes:
>>
>>Does anybody know is there a program to do a screendump or window dump on
>>Window 3.0?

>... (You can't paste a whole
>screen into PC Paintbrush directly, it clips the picture.) Then use

If you zoom out before you paste, you can paste a full screen into
Paintbrush.

Wolfgang Strobl

michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael THURLKILL) (07/04/90)

In article <3940@zap.sw.mcc.com> adrian@zap.sw.mcc.com (Adrian Lao) writes:

>Does anybody know is there a program to do a screendump or window dump on
>Window 3.0?

There was another posting that contained a cross posting from
Compuserve that went into more detail, but also made some things
more difficult than necessary.

To do a screen dump in Win3, press the <Print Screen> key to capture
the whole screen, or press <Alt>-<Print Screen> to capture the active
window. The image will be placed in the clipboard.

Once you have the image in the clipboard, you can run the Clipbrd app
and save the image in a .CLP file, you can run Windows Paintbrush
(included with Win3), paste in the image in either color or monochrome
format, and save it in PCX, mono .BMP, 16 color .BMP, 256 color .BMP,
or 24 bit .BMP. You can also paste the image into Write, WinWord,
or other applications that allow it. Other apps may not allow saving
in .BMP format, but only as part of a document. As noted in the
other posting, if you want the image in monochrome format you will
want to set your screen colors so that they look good as monochrome,
since all colors except white will go to black. However, you can
print color images from Paintbrush to a monochrome printer and the
image will look fairly good. This is because the new Device
Independant Bitmap (DIB) format provides enough information so that
different devices can display or print a given image, and map colors
grays, or dithered patterns so that the image looks generally correct.

Also, if you have the SDK, the Showdib sample program can read the
captured image from the clipboard, and display and save the image.
The source code is included, so you can make any modifications to
better suit your particular needs.

Mike Thurlkill

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. They should not be mis-construed
as being correct or having any relation to my employer.

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (07/05/90)

In <1990Jul2.220951.6614@world.std.com> goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) writes:

>Capturing and printing Windows v3.00 windows and screens --

>	If you just want to get a screen or window captured and printed,
>bring up Windows in standard or 386 mode, and press the print screen
>key to capture the entire window, or Alt-Print Screen to capture only
>the currently active window. Next, bring up GCP (ignore the warning
>message if you haven't "marked" GCP) and use the Edit Paste option to
>copy the contents of the clipboard into GCP. (You can't paste a whole
>screen into PC Paintbrush directly, it clips the picture.) Then use

Yes you can: zoom out, paste, click OUTSIDE the picture, zoom in.

>GCP's Save As function to save the captured screen to a .PCX file,
>saving the colors by selecting the default # of planes.

GCP is a wonderful program. I have a hercules graphics workstation card
which supports 256 colors, and GCP actually uses all the colors when
displaying GIF files. The tragedy is that the Windows 3.0 version of GCP
is not going to be sharware because so few people have bothered to pay
the few dollars asked to register the present version. I had a letter
from Kim Levitt which said this. So come on all you people and register
your copy. (I have absolutely no connection whatever with synergistic
enterprises.)

Fireworks is produce by the same company. It must be the best screen
blanker ever written.

--
amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Dr. Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (07/06/90)

In article <3135@ecs.soton.ac.uk> amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) writes:
>GCP is a wonderful program. I have a hercules graphics workstation card
>which supports 256 colors, and GCP actually uses all the colors when
>displaying GIF files. The tragedy is that the Windows 3.0 version of GCP
>is not going to be sharware because so few people have bothered to pay
>the few dollars asked to register the present version. I had a letter
>from Kim Levitt which said this. So come on all you people and register
>your copy. (I have absolutely no connection whatever with synergistic
>enterprises.)

1. Shareware is the greatest thing to happen to software (IMHO)
2. I register all the shareware I use regularly (or it gets deleted)
3. BUT, I find I choose to use any software based on its USEABILITY or
ANNOYANCE FACTOR.  This is all software, not just shareware.
4. Software that is crippled by greyed options or maze like startups I
don't use or only keep around to handle special cases (e.g. GCP for
GIF to BMP)
5. I've registered
   a. Blackbeard
   b. Pro Master Key
   c. Extended Batch (replaced by 4dos - not yet registered)
   d. Command Post (no longer used because of Win3.0)
   e. Browser
   f. Iconvert (barely useable)
   g. Bal 370 emulator
   h. Snobol4+
   i. others I've probably forgotten

6. I am looking at
   a. Active Life (was Time Star) -> will probably be removed soon
   b. TAPCIS -> will register
   c. QVTWIN -> might toss xtalk for this (qvt less power but more intuitive)
   d. Screen Peace -> charityware, not sure what I need to do with this
   e. Almanac (name?) -> need a PIM, don't think this or Active Life is it
   f. 4dos -> still flakey under windows but will probably register
   g. Metz Task Manger -> will probably register (is to win3.0 what command
      post was to win2.x - almost)
   h. others I've probbably forgotten

7. Would register if I used regularly but don't due to high annoyance factor
   a. Navigate (Windows Magellan like program, great idea)
   b. GCP (only need for GIF->BMP, a need which is declining)
   c. Command post applets (now obsolete due to win3.0)

The above detail is to help convince shareware folks to take a chance as many
shareware authors have.  If someone does not want to buy the package, then
they'll probably get a copy even if you go nonshareware.  I've bought too
many packages that did not suit my needs (gopher, micrografixs draw,
Logitech Modula II, MS preview, Print Shop, PC Lint, CrossTalk :-(, etc) to
ever buy software again without reviewing it by using it.  I always look for
shareware first.  Take a chance and make it as good and useable as you can.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force