[comp.windows.ms] Future Domain Controller

markg@cbnewsk.att.com (mark.r.gibaldi) (06/28/90)

Does anybody have any experienc with Future Domain Controllers?  I need
a fast 16bit SCSI Controller that is compatible with Windows 3.0 and
DOS 4.1.  I also need to support two floppies, one 1.44 and one 1.2.
Cache would also be a plus.  Any info would be appreciated.  Please mail
me direct unless you believe the information would be of interest to the Net.

Mark R. Gibaldi
AT&T Bell Laboratories
mrg@cblph.att.com
att!cblph!mrg

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun28.151709.3294@cbnewsk.att.com> markg@cbnewsk.att.com (mark.r.gibaldi) writes:
>Does anybody have any experienc with Future Domain Controllers?  I need
>a fast 16bit SCSI Controller that is compatible with Windows 3.0 and
>DOS 4.1.  I also need to support two floppies, one 1.44 and one 1.2.
>Cache would also be a plus.  Any info would be appreciated.  Please mail
>me direct unless you believe the information would be of interest to the Net.

Not yet but I hope to soon.

When speaking with Future Domain about their MCA SCSI Controller I found
out that it is not compatible with DOS 4.0 yet.  They have the software
for compatibility but no documentation to go with it.

Compatibility with Windows 3.0.  I'm not sure.  I'll post when I get
it up.  I will be installing it on a PS/2 55sx with a 60 mb internal
drive.  I am hoping that as long as I leave the Permanent Swap File
on the ESDI drive that is built into the machine that I won't have
the BIOS avoidance problems on the SCSI.  It all depends on how the
SCSI looks to Windows.

Are there 1.2 mb Floppy Drives with SCSI interfaces?

I don't know if there is a cache on their controllers.

I have been told that the new Adaptec SCSIs don't have the compatibility
problems and do have a cache.  Unfortunately, they are not yet available
for MCA.

>Mark R. Gibaldi
>AT&T Bell Laboratories
>mrg@cblph.att.com
>att!cblph!mrg

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (07/07/90)

You might want to check out the IN-2000 SCSI controller from Always
Technologies. It works for me under Win 3.0 with MS-DOS 4.01. It is 16 bit
with a FIFO interface (no cache though). About $250 US from Hard Disks
International.
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (07/07/90)

I purchased and installed the Future Domain MC 350 SCSI Host Adapter
and am currently using it under DOS 4.01 and Windows 3.0 with a
Seagate ST157N SCSI Hard Disk.  This is installed in a PS/2 55sx.
I have found the FDHA to not only be compatible with Windows
but so compatible that I now have moved my permanent swap file
on to the SCSI drive.

BTW, the 40ms st157N is faster than the 23ms ESDI drive installed
by IBM with the machine.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)