[comp.windows.ms] SDK for Windows 3.0

adnan@rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (06/28/90)

David Sampson writes.

>Does anybody know if the SDK is available to the general public yet
>(not the upgrade)?  EggHead didn't have a price quote yet.
>CompuClassics said it would go for $329. One other place said $345.
>Does anyone know of a "better" mail order house/price?

I called microsoft yesterday and they told me that the Win3.0 SDK was
too be made available before July!!!!!. Price = ????
Price for upgrades was however "around $150".

-Sarmad

jg3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jason Ari Goldstein) (06/29/90)

I looked into it at the Campus Computer Store.  They told me that it wouldn't
be available till in July.  (They gave me a date but I don't remember).  He
couldn't give me price yet because of an agreement with microsoft.

At the unfortunate price of around $300 there is no way I can afford it.  Like
all other college students I am lucky I can pay tuition and still have money to
eat.

BTW,  if anyone here's about driver for the Orchid Prodesigner 512k SVGA,
please let me know.  Thanks.

Later...
    _
--THE Peppercorn
Over, Finished, Gone, Done, Out.  (Finally)

jrb10814@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/29/90)

The latest InfoWorld quotes Fred Gray (MS VP for languages)
as saying that a shrink-wrapped version of the SDK was "in
production" and would be on store shelves in a few days.

					Jon Berry

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/29/90)

Ah! the cat's out. I was not really waiting for the SDK 3.0, I was waiting for
the promised cuopon to fill out to order the SDK whenever it was ready. Well,
so I called up Microsoft again and asked what happened to the cuopon. They
told me that if I could read them the document number or some such thing from
the manual, and give a VISA etc for the $150 upgrade price, they would take
the order right then! He looks up the inventory, says there's enough stock,
and boom! I should be getting it in a few days, its actually shipping!

Milan.

.

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/29/90)

In a recent article mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Ah! the cat's out. I was not really waiting for the SDK 3.0, I was waiting for
>the promised cuopon to fill out to order the SDK whenever it was ready. Well,
>so I called up Microsoft again and asked what happened to the cuopon. They
>told me that if I could read them the document number or some such thing from
>the manual, and give a VISA etc for the $150 upgrade price, they would take
>the order right then! He looks up the inventory, says there's enough stock,
>and boom! I should be getting it in a few days, its actually shipping!

Verrrry interesting.  I called uSoft yesterday and was told flatly that
the product was not in ship status and would not be until sometime in July.
(They did confirm the $150 figure, however).  What part of uSoft did you
call, and do you have a warm-body name of someone there I can cite?

Can anyone from Microsoft comment on this?

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (06/30/90)

In article <112095@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>In a recent article mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>Ah! the cat's out. I was not really waiting for the SDK 3.0, I was waiting for
>>the promised cuopon to fill out to order the SDK whenever it was ready. Well,
>>so I called up Microsoft again and asked what happened to the cuopon. They
>>told me that if I could read them the document number or some such thing from
>>the manual, and give a VISA etc for the $150 upgrade price, they would take
>>the order right then! He looks up the inventory, says there's enough stock,
>>and boom! I should be getting it in a few days, its actually shipping!
>
>Verrrry interesting.  I called uSoft yesterday and was told flatly that
>the product was not in ship status and would not be until sometime in July.
>(They did confirm the $150 figure, however).  What part of uSoft did you
>call, and do you have a warm-body name of someone there I can cite?

Well, all I can say is that we have a copy (release) of the 3.0 SDK, so it
does exist.  It's in a box like Excel or Word--surprising since I remember
the 2.0 SDK being quite large.  Is it worth $300+?  I'm not going to start
that one up again :-)...

Aaron Wallace

cs060241@csusac.csus.edu (David Brock) (06/30/90)

In article <112095@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>In a recent article mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>Ah! the cat's out. I was not really waiting for the SDK 3.0, I was waiting for
>>the promised cuopon to fill out to order the SDK whenever it was ready. Well,
>>so I called up Microsoft again and asked what happened to the cuopon. They
>>told me that if I could read them the document number or some such thing from
>>the manual, and give a VISA etc for the $150 upgrade price, they would take
>>the order right then! He looks up the inventory, says there's enough stock,
>>and boom! I should be getting it in a few days, its actually shipping!
>
>Verrrry interesting.  I called uSoft yesterday and was told flatly that
>the product was not in ship status and would not be until sometime in July.
>(They did confirm the $150 figure, however).  What part of uSoft did you
>call, and do you have a warm-body name of someone there I can cite?
>
>Can anyone from Microsoft comment on this?

I was just in the Campus Computer Store here, and there, on the shelf, is
the software dev kit for windows 3.0     NO JOKE.   Funny, though.  The
price tag on it was $250.00    Go figure.

| David Brock   dcb@csus.edu         |  To the best of my knowledge,
| Computing Services                 |  I almost know what I'm talking
| Cal State Uni, Sacramento          |  about.  Maybe.

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/02/90)

I posted the note about calling uSoft and being surprized at the fact that
they were ready to take my order. I think I called 206 426 9400 or the
Windows hotline (can't remember the number). My order was taken by someone
named Steve Cox. I was very happy with their help.

Milan
.

thj@mtcchi.uucp (XT0221000-Tom Hjellming(ZG90210)0000) (07/05/90)

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) writes:

>I'll admit that I'm somewhat confused......  From the discussions on
>the net, and the appearance of some public domain applications that
>run under Windows 3.0, it appears that some people already have the
>SDK for Windows 3.0.  I'm assuming that these folks aren't beta
>testers either (possibly a flawed reasoning).

>OK.  So I decided to buy it, right?  How come none of the mail order
>places seem to have it yet?  I called PC Connection (they don't carry
>it), EggHead (none are in stock yet, but they mumbled something about
>upgrades), CompuClassics (thick foreign accent saying "Yes it's in
>stock", but I really think they were talking about the one for Windows
>2.xx after more discussion), and a couple of others whom I've
>forgotten.

>Does anybody know if the SDK is available to the general public yet
>(not the upgrade)?  EggHead didn't have a price quote yet.
>CompuClassics said it would go for $329. One other place said $345.
>Does anyone know of a "better" mail order house/price?

>Thanks in advance......

I just received my Win 3.0 SDK from Programmer's Paradise on Tuesday (7/3).
They are charging $349.  Their number is 1-800-445-7899.

--
Tom Hjellming
Analysts International Corporation (AiC)

{ standard disclaimers apply }

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (07/06/90)

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) writes:

>Does anybody know if the SDK is available to the general public yet
>(not the upgrade)?

Back in June I posted a note to the net squawking about inconsistent responses
from Microsoft sales people about when the SDK would be available, especially
in light of the absence of anything resembling a formal announcement of an
availability date.  Only the rumor mill provided a date (July).

Microsoft has now defied all computer industry tradition and actually delivered
a product on the rumor mill schedule.  I called Microsoft earlier this week
and placed an upgrade order.

Joe Morris

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (07/07/90)

In article <1990Jul5.141526.22760@mtcchi.uucp> thj@mtcchi.uucp (XT0221000-Tom Hjellming(ZG90210)0000) writes:
>dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) writes:
>

>>I'll admit that I'm somewhat confused......  From the discussions on
>>the net, and the appearance of some public domain applications that
>>run under Windows 3.0, it appears that some people already have the
>>SDK for Windows 3.0.  I'm assuming that these folks aren't beta
>>testers either (possibly a flawed reasoning).
>
>>OK.  So I decided to buy it, right?  How come none of the mail order
>>places seem to have it yet?  I called PC Connection (they don't carry
>>it), EggHead (none are in stock yet, but they mumbled something about
>>upgrades), CompuClassics (thick foreign accent saying "Yes it's in
>>stock", but I really think they were talking about the one for Windows
>>2.xx after more discussion), and a couple of others whom I've
>>forgotten.
>
>>Does anybody know if the SDK is available to the general public yet
>>(not the upgrade)?  EggHead didn't have a price quote yet.
>>CompuClassics said it would go for $329. One other place said $345.
>>Does anyone know of a "better" mail order house/price?
>
>>Thanks in advance......
>

>I just received my Win 3.0 SDK from Programmer's Paradise on Tuesday (7/3).
>They are charging $349.  Their number is 1-800-445-7899.

If you have the SDK for 2.x, the upgrade is $150. They are shipping now. I
should have mine in a few days.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

jg3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jason Ari Goldstein) (07/08/90)

For those of you who have the NEW SDK...

What exactly comes with the SDK?  What books? Ect.

Also, I semi-looked into OS/2 as an alternative?  The CMU Computer Store
wanted $225 for it.  The  salesman said that he thought but wasn't sure if
it came with more than just the operating system.  What do you get with it?
Do you get stuck shelling out more money for the SDK?  What device drivers
does it support?  Orchid sent no OS/2 drivers for the SVGA card. Ect. Ect.

BTW, make sure a copy of your response gets sent to me because I am going to
NY on Mon.  and I am only going to read mail not bboards for the week I am
there.  Thanks in advance.

Later...
    _