[comp.windows.ms] Sytos tape software wont run in Enhanced mode

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (07/10/90)

G'Day,

	Last night I tried to get Sytos to do my tape backup under Windows 3.0
but it would not work.  It works OK in real mode but I want it to do it in the
background in 386 enhanced mode.  I made a PIF for it and the window opens and
then it just closes the window.  If I open a DOS window and run it from there
it gives an error like 'Incompatible Operating System' and drops back to the
DOS prompt (in the DOS window).

	Has anybody made this work yet or do I just have to wait for a Windows
aware version of Sytos?

David.

|  David Wales - Sydney, Australia      | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|                                       | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"    | UUCP:   decwrl!gidday.enet!wales    |
|                                       |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and      | Voice:  (61) 2 713-1809 (H)         |
|  mine only!                           |         (61) 2 412-7334 (W)         |

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (07/11/90)

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:

>G'Day,

>	Last night I tried to get Sytos to do my tape backup under Windows 3.0
>but it would not work.  It works OK in real mode but I want it to do it in the
>background in 386 enhanced mode.  I made a PIF for it and the window opens and
>then it just closes the window.  If I open a DOS window and run it from there
>it gives an error like 'Incompatible Operating System' and drops back to the
>DOS prompt (in the DOS window).

>	Has anybody made this work yet or do I just have to wait for a Windows
>aware version of Sytos?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to do backups in a multitasking
environment like Windows.  I use SY-TOS and Win 3, but I do my backups
before I start windows for the day.  I don't think it's wise to be
messing around with the filesystem while you're doing backups.  What
happens if you modify a file while the tape software is copying it.
If you're running SHARE on a DOS 4 machine and you have an open file, I
would think you'd get a share violation when SY-TOS gets around to that
file.  Being the paranoid type, I don't like to take any chances with my
backups.  I want to give them every chance of being "perfect."

Just my two bits worth...
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014