[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 ftp sites and bitmaps

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (07/11/90)

I like all the bitmaps that people are uploading to places like uwasa.fi,
35.8.2.1, and cica.cica.indiana.edu.

-HOWEVER-

It's becoming increasingly difficult to sort them out from the _programs_
that are also being uploaded there, since both are usually compressed ala
Lharc or Zip.  And since I'm downloading these at 1200 baud, it would be
helpful to know what I'm getting.  (is LANDER3.ZIP a game or a bitmap of
a lunar lander? - it happens to be a cute game, but try figuring that out
from the filename)

-SO-

Would it be possible for people at these sites to create a subdirectory
under the win3 directory, named 'bitmaps' or something?  That way we'd
all know what we're getting.

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (07/11/90)

In article <7801@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) writes:

>I like all the bitmaps that people are uploading to places like uwasa.fi,
>35.8.2.1, and cica.cica.indiana.edu.
>-HOWEVER-
>It's becoming increasingly difficult to sort them out from the _programs_
>that are also being uploaded there, since both are usually compressed ala
>Lharc or Zip.  And since I'm downloading these at 1200 baud, it would be
>helpful to know what I'm getting.  (is LANDER3.ZIP a game or a bitmap of
>a lunar lander? - it happens to be a cute game, but try figuring that out
>from the filename)
>Would it be possible for people at these sites to create a subdirectory
>under the win3 directory, named 'bitmaps' or something?  That way we'd
>all know what we're getting.

It is not impossible at all. The other way around this is that you
have a look at our 0contents file where it is stated what these are.

Secondly. We have here in Vaasa, Finland no interest further to
collect these bitmaps. There are enough sites that collect pictures
and everyone can do their own wallpapers from these. It is the
programs we like most.

--
===== Harri Valkama   (hv@uwasa.fi, hv@flame.uwasa.fi, hv@nic.funet.fi) =======
| University of Vaasa, PO BOX 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (fax: +358 61 248465) |