[comp.windows.ms] Multiple Windows 2.x run-times on the same system

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (07/01/90)

I have both PageMaker 3.0 and Word-for-Windows 1.0 installed on the
same hard disk, and they had came with their own Windows 286 2.x
run-time modules, printer drivers and fonts.  Although both run-time
modules are called win200.{ovl,bin} in their respective directories,
they are different in length and don't seem to be interchangable.
(The printer drivers are also different, as are the selections of
fonts in each of the directories.)

Since both the PM and WINWORD directories are in my PATH, with PM
come first, the two Windows run-times don't seem to be mixing too
well.  While using WINWORD, the keyboard will occasionally just
go dead (while the mouse is still alive), and a power-cycle (not
just a reboot) is needed to get the keyboard back to live.

Tonight I tried to consolidate the two Windows run-times together
into a separate directory, but things only went worse and I managed
to cuase WINWORD to shut-off the keyboard upon entry every time and
PM being disabled altogether.  I ended up restoring everything to
where they were before I started the reshuffling.

Could any Windows wizzard please enlighten me as to what is the
correct way to go about this, so that I could get rid of this
annoying keyboard dropout which only happens while I use WINWORD.
(It never happened while in PM or DOS.)

It would also be very nice if I could get both PM and WINDORD to
use a common set of fonts (*.FON) and printer drivers (*.DRV).

Thanks in advance for your help (and for having read this far).

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (07/07/90)

In article <716@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> Samuel Lam <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
>I have both PageMaker 3.0 and Word-for-Windows 1.0 installed on the
>same hard disk, and they had came with their own Windows 286 2.x
>run-time modules, printer drivers and fonts ....
>Tonight I tried to consolidate the two Windows run-times together
>into a separate directory, but things only went worse
>Could any Windows wizzard please enlighten me as to what is the
>correct way to go about this,

	Buy Windows.  You are trying to make mayonnaise on a stormy
	day, i.e, you're not going to get two run-times to mix into
	anything good.  (Mayonnaise can't be made on a stormy day:
	the eggs and oil will not emulsify.)

	Tony Brich

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (07/07/90)

In article <716@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca>, skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
> I have both PageMaker 3.0 and Word-for-Windows 1.0 installed on the
> [deleted]
> Since both the PM and WINWORD directories are in my PATH, with PM
> come first, the two Windows run-times don't seem to be mixing too
> well.

You've got your nose too close to your VDU Sam, all you need to do is
change PATH each time you call one or the other, so that the unwanted
pathname is excluded, and that's what batch files are for...

Dave E.

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (07/08/90)

In article <61874@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com> tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) writes:
>In article <716@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> Samuel Lam <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
>>I have both PageMaker 3.0 and Word-for-Windows 1.0 installed on the
>>same hard disk, and they had came with their own Windows 286 2.x
>>run-time modules, printer drivers and fonts ....
>>Tonight I tried to consolidate the two Windows run-times together
>>into a separate directory, but things only went worse
>>Could any Windows wizzard please enlighten me as to what is the
>>correct way to go about this,
>
>	Buy Windows.  You are trying to make mayonnaise on a stormy
>  [...]

Microsoft is extending the $50 upgrade offer to *any* Windows users,
including owners of only the run-time version.  For that amount of money,
it's probably not worth the effort to try to figure out the interactions
between the run-time files.  Call uSoft at 1-800-426-9400.

I'm assuming that you don't have any reason *not* to run Windows 3.  If
you can't (8088 chip, no disk space available, Intel inboard/386, etc.)
they you should still try to find an old copy of Windows/286.  I would
be *very* worried about the reliability of merging the run-time stuff...

Joe Morris

ahd@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire) (07/08/90)

From article <112711@linus.mitre.org>, by jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris):
> Microsoft is extending the $50 upgrade offer to *any* Windows users,
> including owners of only the run-time version.  For that amount of money,
> it's probably not worth the effort to try to figure out the interactions
> between the run-time files.  Call uSoft at 1-800-426-9400.
>
> I'm assuming that you don't have any reason *not* to run Windows 3.  If
> you can't (8088 chip, no disk space available, Intel inboard/386, etc.)
> they you should still try to find an old copy of Windows/286.  I would
> be *very* worried about the reliability of merging the run-time stuff...

You can run Windows 3.0 on an 8088, but you only get Real Mode, no
standard or enchanced mode.  (Source ... page 502 of the Microsoft
Windows 3.0 User's Guide.)

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  ahd@kendra.kew.com            Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174

drp@vpnet.chi.il.us (Douglas Pokorny) (07/11/90)

What is this about windows 3.0 not working with 8088's or Intel inboard/386?

I'm glad no one told me that because I've used it on both of the computers
here.  One is a full-fledged '386, and the other was an 8088 with an
implant of an inboard/386.

I seemed to have no problems using it on the 8088, nor with the inboard/386
when the machine is upgraded.

-Douglas Pokorny

(drp@vpnet.chi.il.us)