[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3 and LARGE monitors request

david@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (07/10/90)

Now that Windows 3.0 actually mostly works, I am interested in getting
monitors to suite windows.  Now let me first tell you, I have been
spoiled by SUN monitors (?19"?).  I would like to purchase similar 19"
monitors for my PCs.  Mostly I would be happy with monocrome, but a few
color monitors would also be great.  So, does anyone have any experience
or have any suggestions to this.  I would not only need the 19" monitors,
but a video card that can drive it and drivers for windows!  I would
appreciate any help or suggestions.
					Thanks,
					   Dave
--
david@po.cwru.edu            *  Eagle  *      David Nerenberg
73107,177 Compuserve        * Computers *     Information Network Services

hjp@usenet.umr.edu (Hardy Pottinger) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul10.165339.17395@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> david@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu () writes:
>I would not only need the 19" monitors,
>but a video card that can drive it and drivers for windows!  I would
>appreciate any help or suggestions.

I'm using a Sigma Designs L-View monitor and adapter with a DTK 386.
This is monochrome and hi res (1664x1024 or some such).  I'm using it
for document display... not cad or graphics.  You lose a lot with
monochrome but its ok for document display.  Sigma just recently
released a beta version of their Win3 driver which doesn't work in 386
enhanced mode very well... no non-windows apps but otherwise seems ok
so far.  The font sizes aren't quite right yet since icons get stuck
too close together when windows adjusts the icons.
  I've also used an IBM 8514 with Win3 and for all around use that
might be a good way to go.  Resolution is not bad and it really works,
not just sort of.
--hjp

--
Hardy J. Pottinger
Department of Electrical Engineering,  University of MO - Rolla