[comp.windows.ms] Unrecoverable Application Error message in Win3.0

retter@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rob Retter) (07/03/90)

It may be more appropriate for me to call MicroSoft on the phone and ask
them, but God knows if I'd reach someone who really knows the answer to:

    What *exactly* does Unrecoverable Application Error mean?

Is it a generic error msg which is displayed at any one of three hundred
places in the Windoes 3.0 code?  Does it mean that a particular *kind* of
error occurred, such as an I/O failure or memory access or bad instruction?

I keep getting the damned thing at apparently random times: once saving a
file in NotePad, once immediately after clicking to start printing inside
PaintBrush, once halfway *through* printing in PaintBrush (half my picture
came out of the printer....)

I do note that Windows seems pretty much fried once this happens.  After
clicking "Okay", error window goes away, but subsequent operations always
hang the machine and force me to reboot.

I've seen discussions of Paradise VGA and WestDigtl disk controller cards
conflicting over memory, memory chips which become "bad" (or at least
unreliable) once the system physically warms up, advice to add "EMMEXCLUDE"
lines to my SYSTEM.INI file (which I did, to no effect).

So, anyone at MicroSoft (or anywhere else, for that matter) what does the
error message really tell me, other than the "unrecoverable" nature of the
problem?

- Rob Retter
  retter@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) (07/03/90)

In article <3449@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> retter@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
 (Rob Retter) writes:

>    What *exactly* does Unrecoverable Application Error mean?

At least some of the time this means that an application has attempted to
access protected memory outside of its boundaries.  I know because I've seen
this in conjunction with debugging from CodeView (usually when my code is
doing something wrong with a pointer ;-)

mojo@netcom.UUCP (Morris Jones) (07/03/90)

In article <3449@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> retter@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rob Retter) writes:
>    What *exactly* does Unrecoverable Application Error mean?

Rob, typically it means a protection fault or violation in the 386.  It
happens if an application does something like attempting to write into
the code segment, modifies a segment selector, writes outside of a valid
segment, and so on.

I've never seen it in one of the applications provided with Windows, so
its hard to imagine what could be causing them all in your case, unless
you have a TSR loaded doing something bizarre in interrupts.

--
Mojo     mojo@netcom.UUCP
Morris Jones

JAM167@psuvm.psu.edu (07/04/90)

I am beginning to believe that it is a fairly generic error code. I have heard
of many places that it occurs.  I was having problems similar to yours that
I cured by replacing the virtual disk driver supplied by my memory board
manufacturer with Microsoft's RamDrive.

Jim Meyers - Penn State Great Valley

bill@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (William Tsai) (07/04/90)

In article <11494@netcom.UUCP> mojo@netcom.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:
>In article <3449@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> retter@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rob Retter) writes:
>>    What *exactly* does Unrecoverable Application Error mean?
>
>I've never seen it in one of the applications provided with Windows, so
>its hard to imagine what could be causing them all in your case, unless
>you have a TSR loaded doing something bizarre in interrupts.

Call me crazy but it happens to me EVERY TIME I run in 386 enhanced
mode.  Windows Paint does it to me.  Write does it to me.  Even
clock and calculator does it to me.  Something is wrong!

The only TSR I loaded is mouse.com from logitech (series 9).
I get a warning for loading HIMEM.SYS saying that my A20 line
can't be disabled.  Does that mean trouble?

Also before the system crashes, my screen usually disable strange
colors, looks like the video memory is being written by data
what don't belong there...  I have a ATI w/512k...

Help!  I can only run windows in Real mode now!

--
        Bill Tsai        |  bill@vax1.udel.EDU       bill@delmarva.UUCP
 University of Delaware  |    ..@sun.udel.EDU        ffo30260@udelvm.bitnet

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (07/07/90)

In article <11494@netcom.UUCP> mojo@netcom.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:
>In article <3449@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> retter@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rob Retter) writes:
>>    What *exactly* does Unrecoverable Application Error mean?
>
>Rob, typically it means a protection fault or violation in the 386.  It
>happens if an application does something like attempting to write into
>the code segment, modifies a segment selector, writes outside of a valid
>segment, and so on.
>
>I've never seen it in one of the applications provided with Windows, so
>its hard to imagine what could be causing them all in your case, unless
>you have a TSR loaded doing something bizarre in interrupts.

	Hmmm.  I've seen them frequently, most lately with Word For
	Windows:  I tried to insert a table of contents in a short (15
	page) document, and Winword didn't like it, or WIndows didn't,
	or somthing didn't, because I got an Unrecoverable Application
	Error, and Winword terminated.  I learned from Microsoft that
	you MUST exit Windows and reboot your system in the event of
	this error.  Something to do with corrupted memory?  Anyway,
	that's one of several instances in which I've encountered an
	Unrecoverable Error.  (Another instance:  Terminal and my
	bosses ROM BIOS didn't like one another.  At least, that's
	what we think it was:  we changed the BIOS, and everything
	works fine now --- kind of.  Terminal is a little flaky.  He
	uses Crosstalk now.)  (Yet another:  I had a PC/TCP RLOGIN
	Window, several Excel spreadsheets, Winword, and several
	sessions of Write and the Cardfile open.  Tried to go back to
	the RLOGIN Window and ---- kaboom!  Up in smoke.  I don't
	think this version of PC/TCP is supported yet, so now big
	deal.)

	Tony Brich

bbw@icc.com (Bill Weaver) (07/12/90)

Rob,

Rob Retter (retter@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM) writes:

>    What *exactly* does Unrecoverable Application Error mean?

For about a month, I had this problem with Windows 3.0.  I tried everything
to fix the problem -- or to even identify the problem -- and failed.  It
happened randomly, and for no apparent reason.  In fact, several times the
\windows directory just vanished, leaving about eight zillion lost clusters
for NDD to clean up.

I tried re-installing Windows on a clean system (no autoexec or config) and
it still died.

Finally, service came out and took a look.  They said the disk controller ROM
was old and exchanged it with a new one.  I haven't had the same problem
since.

I still don't trust it, though...

-bill

--