[comp.windows.ms] Screen Peace problems

rassilon@eddie.mit.edu (Brian the Random) (07/07/90)

Ok, I downloaded Screen Peace and installed it.  No problems.  Then I got SPK.ZIP
(additional screen savers for Screen peace) and when I boot Screen Peace says:
"Can't find EYES.SPX" ... "Can't find FADE.SPX", etc.

What gives?  Obviously it COULD find them or it wouldn't have known they were there
in the first place!  Furthermore, it DID manage to load Aquarium just fine, and the
original savers.  Any clues?
--
					Ciao for now!

Rassilon (Brian Preble)
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!rassilon

ygu@athena.mit.edu (Ye Gu) (07/09/90)

I have the same problem with Saver Peace.  It works (barely) with real mode
(it couldn't find some *.spx files).  It results unrecoverable errors in
standard and enhanced mode and soon is terminated.

I also tried to edit the win.ini file to specify where spx files are.  That
doesn't help either.

I have a 25 Mhz Gateway 386 with 4 Meg RAMs with Orchid Prodesigner video
board in standard vga mode.  HIMEM.SYS, SMARTDRV.SYS (with 2 Meg
memory), and FASTOPEN.EXE are installed.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

----- Ye

E-mail: ygu@ai.mit.edu

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (07/10/90)

I'm having a different problem with Screen Peace.  I'm running it on an AT\
compatible with 2 megs of memory.  The saver is apparently selecting savers
at random.  When I select a saver in 'Configure', I can see what each one does.
When I click on OK, however, a different saver is activated.  It is not
consistent; I don't always get the same saver when it is selected.  Help!

Eric, tinkerer-at-large
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

spell@uncw.UUCP (Chris Spell) (07/11/90)

ygu@athena.mit.edu (Ye   Gu) writes:

>I have the same problem with Saver Peace.  It works (barely) with real mode
>(it couldn't find some *.spx files).  It results unrecoverable errors in
>standard and enhanced mode and soon is terminated.

>I also tried to edit the win.ini file to specify where spx files are.  That
>doesn't help either.

>I have a 25 Mhz Gateway 386 with 4 Meg RAMs with Orchid Prodesigner video
>board in standard vga mode.  HIMEM.SYS, SMARTDRV.SYS (with 2 Meg
>memory), and FASTOPEN.EXE are installed.

>Suggestions?  Thanks.

>----- Ye

>E-mail: ygu@ai.mit.edu

I had the same problems.  What i had to do was, delete space.spx and
clock.spx.  Make sure you specify the path to the directory where the
files are located in your win.ini.  Everything then works fine in
enhanced mode.

Space.spx has a bad checksum and i have no idea why it doesn't like
clock.spx.  I got my version from terminator.cc.umich.edu.

chris

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul7.150436.13732@eddie.mit.edu> rassilon@eddie.MIT.EDU (Brian the Random) writes:
>Ok, I downloaded Screen Peace and installed it.  No problems.  Then I got SPK.ZIP
>(additional screen savers for Screen peace) and when I boot Screen Peace says:
>"Can't find EYES.SPX" ... "Can't find FADE.SPX", etc.
>
>What gives?  Obviously it COULD find them or it wouldn't have known they were there
>in the first place!  Furthermore, it DID manage to load Aquarium just fine, and the
>original savers.  Any clues?

I was having funny problems with the space.spx file from the spx.zip. It seemed
to be corrupted causing Screen Peace to do funny things. I was unable to find
a copy that WASN'T corrupted and last I looked, it was removed from compu-
serve. I ended up deleting that file (space.spx) and all the others no work OK.

Oh well.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

In article <11143@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

>I'm having a different problem with Screen Peace.  I'm running it on an AT\
>compatible with 2 megs of memory.  The saver is apparently selecting savers
>at random.  When I select a saver in 'Configure', I can see what each one does.
>When I click on OK, however, a different saver is activated.  It is not
>consistent; I don't always get the same saver when it is selected.  Help!

This is normal behavior. Screenpeace selects between all of the enabled
screen savers at random.

This info is in the docs, but you can selectively enable/disable whichever
saver modules you want. To do this, click onec on the SP icon and select
"options". You should get a list of the saver modules it knows about.
Double clicking on one will bring up a configuration box. One item is a
check box to enable/disable. After setting this, click OK.

BTW, you can see what each module looks like by selecting the desired
module (click once, not twice to make sure it is highlighted) in the
options. If you have set the "saver now" variable in win.ini, move the
cursor (again see the docs) to the "saver now" place specified, the screen
will blank and show the selected module. (You could of course wait for the
timeout, but that is a pain.)