[comp.windows.ms] ICON.DLL

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (07/02/90)

][

Over the weekend someone uploaded icons.zip to our informal anon-ftp
Win3 archive here at cica.cica.indiana.edu [129.79.20.22].  While I
sincerely appreciate all the uploads recently, a .DOC file or
something would be nice for things like this!  It would help me assemble
the INDEX file, etc., etc.

I have no idea what this file is but a huge collection of icons.
huge collection of colorful, clever icons, but how is this file used?
The messsage: "! No association exists for the specified file" comes
up when you double click on the "Icon" icon (!).

Now, for those interested, here's a current list of the collection
here in the ~ftp/pub/pc/win3 directory.  My thanks to all who have
contributed!

**
** This is an informal archive for Microsoft Windows v. 3 tips, utilities
** and applications.
**
**                     Center for Innovative Computer Applications (CICA)
**                                                     Indiana University
**                                   cica.cica.indiana.edu [129.79.20.22]
**                  Michael Regoli, Maintainer (mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu)
**

FILE		DESCRIPTION
----		-----------
INDEX		This file.
astro.bmp	Astronaut on Moon BitMaP (BMP) File
astro.readme	About astro.bmp
aztec.bmp	Aztec Pattern BMP
batlogo.bmp	Batman Logo BMP
earchis.bmp	Earth Shot from Moon BMP
eqs.zip		Eyes/Qtime/Status for Windows3
fuse.zip	Yet Another Fuse Program for Windows 3
gcp42s.arc	Graphic Image File Converter
icons.zip	icon.dll
jupiter.zip	BMP of Jupiter
klz209.zip	Klotz:  A Tetris-like game for Windows 3
lander3.zip	Lunar Lander Game for Windows 3
mandel.zip	Mandelbrot Set BMP
mark30.zip	Mark Applications "safe" for Windows 3
nonag.zip	Omit Incompatible Message under Win 2.xx Applications for Win3
paradise.zip	Paradise VGA Drivers (640x480x256, 800x600x16 and 1024x768x16)
smash.zip       Bloom County/Opus BMP (16 color)
sv800.arc	Generic 800x600x16 SVGA Driver for Windows 3
taipei.zip	Taipei Game
tetriss.zip	Yet Another Tetris Game
wallpaper.trick	Keystrokes to get Win3 Authors Listed as Wallpaper
nonag.zip	Allow older WinApps to run under Windows 3
vgawin.zip	ATI's 800x600X16 Windows 3 Driver
wet-t.zip	Wet T-Shirt BMP File
win3infosrc	Windows Information Source(s)
wineyes.zip	Icon with Eyeballs that follows the mouse pointer
worm.zip	Worms all over the place

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

dcross@mentor.com (David Cross) (07/03/90)

In article <mr.646930570@cica> mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>][
>
>I have no idea what this file is but a huge collection of icons.
>huge collection of colorful, clever icons, but how is this file used?
>The messsage: "! No association exists for the specified file" comes
>up when you double click on the "Icon" icon (!).

If you can page through the icons, you should be able to use them with
programs you already have (eg. instead of the generic "DOS" icon used for
all non-window apps).

Try this:   (this is from memory, so beware ;-)
	- add a program to a group
	- choose "Change Icon"
	- type "ICON.DLL" in the filename space of the "Change Icon" window
	- select one

I don't have 3.0 handy to test this theory, but I did something similar
a while back...

david

David Cross
Mentor Graphics		 nobody has opinions like these, BUT me.
?network address?

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/03/90)

I tried this, and in Win 3 running in enhanced mode (atleast, haven't tried other
modes), the procedure gives you : No icons found in this file. However, if I
add icons.dll as a group item, I am able to page through all the icons, but that
doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Milan
.

michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael THURLKILL) (07/04/90)

In article <mr.646930570@cica> mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>][
>
>Over the weekend someone uploaded icons.zip to our informal anon-ftp
>Win3 archive here at cica.cica.indiana.edu [129.79.20.22].  While I
>sincerely appreciate all the uploads recently, a .DOC file or
>something would be nice for things like this!  It would help me assemble
>the INDEX file, etc., etc.
>
>I have no idea what this file is but a huge collection of icons.
>huge collection of colorful, clever icons, but how is this file used?
>The messsage: "! No association exists for the specified file" comes
>up when you double click on the "Icon" icon (!).

In Progman-File-Properties...-Change Icon... you can give a path in
the File Name field. Progman will look in the file you specify for
any icons and will allow you to use one of those icons for your app.
In other words, in Progman you could have Excel's icon displayed for
your app. You can also specify an .ICO file, and Progman will look
there for your icon. In addition, you could create a resource only
DLL that contains a number of icons, which you could then use for
various apps.

I would suspect that this was the intended use of the icon dll that
was posted.

Mike Thurlkill

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. They should not be mis-construed
as being correct or having any relation to my employer.

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/04/90)

Ooops, I wrote too soon.

If you rename icon.dll to icon.exe, the procedure seems to work. So, try this:

    o Rename icon.dll to icon.exe
    o Add a new item to a program group in the program manager (if you want)
    o Highlight this new item, or an existing item, and select Properties...
      from the Program Managers File menu.
    o Press the Change Icon button.
    o You should be presented with a dialog box with a place to input a file
      name. Type in the path\icon.exe
    o Press the View Next button to see the icons 1 by 1.

This works to some extent. The item is assigned the icon while it is in the
program manager's window. If you double click, and then minimize the program,
the new icon does not show.

Milan
.

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/05/90)

You'll see alot of icon collections poping up in the near future.  A
shareware program called ICONDR.ZIP (well, contined in that zip file
actually) lets you draw your own icons.  There is a doc file that
explains how to use all the stuff in Windows 3.0.  I didn't see the
zip file on your list.  We'll have to do something about that ......

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (07/05/90)

In article <118500035@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Ooops, I wrote too soon.
>
>If you rename icon.dll to icon.exe, the procedure seems to work. So, try this:

Not necessary.  Just click File -> Properties -> Change Icon and put
the name ICON.DLL in the "File Name" field in the Select Icon window.
If you then click the "Next Icon" button you'll start to browse through
the new icons.  Works like a champ.

(BTW: if you hit ENTER after putting ICON.DLL in the window, just re-click
on Change Icon.  ICON.DLL will continue to be the source of icons.)

Can someone identify the author/owner of the ICON.DLL file?  It's being
passed around with absolutely no credits.  It certainly comes under the
heading of "small but very nice" addons to the Windows environment that
should have been in the original product.  Also, I would like to make it
available to our internal users -- but I'm reluctant to do so without
knowing for sure that it's not pirated.

Also, how about some source so that we can build up local icon libraries
without having a barnyard full of icon files?

BTW: just what *is* the icon which appears four items after the boxed
asterisk?  It looks like an elongated, blue Band-Aid...

Joe Morris

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (07/12/90)

It is the icon file from a telecommunications program, Dynacom or something.
The elongated blue thing is the Citibank logo I believe.

ciao
jeff

--
Jeff Watkins  gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
"All opinions are mine... so don't even think of keeping some to yourself!"

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (07/12/90)

A little poking with Norton found the names (as was suggested by a previous
posting here.  Turns out that the elongated blue thing I was asking about
is supposed to represent a telephone handset...which I guess it really does.

Has anyone been able to find out if the file is legally available?  Or can
someone post a reference (phone number?) for Dynacomm (whatever)?

For readers without Norton, here is the member name list from ICON.DLL:

BINXFERS                LOGIN                    NOCARRIER
CAUTION                 LOGOFF                   WEMS
CHANGE                  MACDISK                  WESCAT
COMMUNICATION           MODEM                    WESCATCARRIER
CREATE                  MONEY                    WESCATCSCNET
DC3270                  MOUSE                    WESCATDISK
DIE1                    NEWDISK                  WESCATDISK2
DIE2                    NOTE                     WESCATDISKFULL
DIE3                    OUTBOX                   WESCATFOLDER
DIE4                    PAD                      WESCATFORMS
DIE5                    PAGE                     WESCATINBOX
DIE6                    PHONE                    WESCATINBOXE
DIRECTOR                PREFERENCE               WESCATLAN
DOSDISK                 PRINTER                  WESCATONLINE
DYNACOMM                QUESTION                 WESCATOTHERHOST
EMULATION               ROLODEX                  WESCATOUTBOX
FKEY                    ROLODEX2                 WESCATOUTBOXE
FOLDER1                 READMAIL                 WESCATPREPARE
FOLDER2                 SCRIPT                   WESCATPRINT
GLOBE                   SENDMAIL                 WESCATSETUP
HOUR                    SORT                     WESCATSITE
HOUR0                   STOP                     WESCATTELENET
HOUR1                   TEXTXFERS                WESCATTRASH
HOUR2                   TMPR                     WESCATTRASHE
HOUR3                   TRASH                    WESCATTYMNET
HOUR4                   TRASHF                   WESCATUNATTENDED
HOUR5                   TRAVEL                   WESCATUPDATE
HOUR6                   WINDOW                   WESCATUSER
HOUR7                   BLANK                    WESCATWESPAC
HOUR8                   CARRIER                  WESCATWORKBOX
INBOX                   CITICORP                 WESCATWORKBOXE
INDUSTRY                LILLY
                        MODEM

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (07/13/90)

In article <113142@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>A little poking with Norton found the names (as was suggested by a previous
>posting here.  Turns out that the elongated blue thing I was asking about
>is supposed to represent a telephone handset...which I guess it really does.
>
>Has anyone been able to find out if the file is legally available?  Or can
>someone post a reference (phone number?) for Dynacomm (whatever)?
>
>For readers without Norton, here is the member name list from ICON.DLL:

<deleted>

I pulled an icon.exe off of compuserv that has about 200 icons, most of which
are copies of those that have already been passed around.  It is not the
same at icon.dll though.  Two hundred icons in one file is tough to work
with, when you only have sequential one way access with <view next>.  I kept
missing the icon I wanted and had to cycle through the whole lot again.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force