[comp.windows.ms] Icons, EXEs and DLLs

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (07/13/90)

Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org> writes:
> A little poking [in ICON.DLL] with Norton found the names (as was
> suggested by a previous posting here.  [...]

Now, I found icondraw.zip on one of the ftp sites (don't ask me which
one!), and I've been able to create some nice icons for DOS apps and
some Excel/WinWord applications.  However, I'd like to use some of the
icons in .EXE files (PD only!) and/or .DLLs as starting points for
making new icons.  Also, wading through large .DLLs to pick icons is
rather tiresome.

So, is there an easy way to pull out an Icon resource out of an .EXE or
a .DLL (which are really the same thing)?  It doesn't sound like it
*should* be hard, but I don't know how to go about it.  I have the Win2
SDK, if that helps (but probably not, since icons are now 16 colors).

Could somebody tell me where to find a description of the DLL format?

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

bchin@wam.umd.edu (Weiyuan W. Chin) (07/13/90)

Tom Haapanen <tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu> writes:

>Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org> writes:
>> A little poking [in ICON.DLL] with Norton found the names (as was
>> suggested by a previous posting here.  [...]

>Now, I found icondraw.zip on one of the ftp sites (don't ask me which
>one!), and I've been able to create some nice icons for DOS apps and
>some Excel/WinWord applications.  However, I'd like to use some of the
>icons in .EXE files (PD only!) and/or .DLLs as starting points for
>making new icons.  Also, wading through large .DLLs to pick icons is
>rather tiresome.

Use Snap (screen capture... can capture a select rectange )  I know its
in the Win 3.0 SDK, but I think one has been floating around ftp sites.

>So, is there an easy way to pull out an Icon resource out of an .EXE or
>a .DLL (which are really the same thing)?  It doesn't sound like it
>*should* be hard, but I don't know how to go about it.  I have the Win2
>SDK, if that helps (but probably not, since icons are now 16 colors).

The snap you have *should* work.  If the code was written right, it
would create a compatible bitmap... in which you can then (clipboard)
copy into the icon editor.

>Could somebody tell me where to find a description of the DLL format?

It's basically a special EXE file... Windows extensions include a
resource section where icons, cursors, etc. are kept.  I don't have
my manuals with me so I'll look later.

>[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
>[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

BTW, you can specify an .ICO file in Program Manager...  not just
DLL's and EXE's.  However, an .ICO file can only have one of each type of
icon (for different screen res's), while DLL's and EXE's have
resource sections that can hold however many that were compiled into it.

--
Bill Chin
University of Maryland College Park