[comp.windows.ms] Printing WinWord remotely?

bchin@wam.umd.edu (Weiyuan W. Chin) (07/13/90)

In article <4995@milton.u.washington.edu>, markad@blake.u.washington.edu
(Mark Donnell) writes:
> 1) I am trying to print the output from WinWord on a remote NeXT printer.
> I print to a file, with the output comfigured for a Apple Laser Writer Plus.
> I save the printer initialization text to a file. I zmodem them up to
the lab.
> I cat them together. I look at it and it looks generally like postscript.
>
> I try printing it with 'lpr text.eps'  - it spools, then dissapears without
> any noticable effect on the printer. The printer is working and will print
> other files.
>
> I also tried to print them on a Apple Laser Writer Plus hooked up to a Sun
> in the lab. It printer out 'Error: spooled binary file rejected'.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Surely it can be done.

> Mark

I've used the Digital LPS40 Postscript printer driver to print to a NeXT
printer...  I'm using Corel Draw to output to a file (not eps, and read
really intense postscript... special fills, curves, etc. ) and
then ftp'd it up and lpr'd it.  I haven't tried to use the eps
function in the printer drivers...  I just set a port in my
win.ini to a file (.prn extension) and chose that in the control
panel.  Also, Apple laserwriters have Apple specific extensions
that the NeXT doesn't recognize.  It has to do with page
definitions (I'm not a PS expert, but) I think its the "letter"
or "legal" etc.  command that the Apple laserwriters use to
determine page boundaries.  In other words, either edit
the postscript looking for the word "letter" and deleting that
command or try using another printer def.

--
Bill Chin
University of Maryland College Park