[comp.windows.ms] My impressions of Actor 3.0

tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu (Timothy Smith) (07/04/90)

I just received actor 3.0 from the WhiteWater Group... And have started
to use it
for small programs.. The speed of the code seems very good.. The documentation
that came with my "Acedemic version"  consists of two paper backs.. I
would have
prefered 3-ring  binders..  From what people were saying about actor I
thought you
could create stand-alone applications using actor... They were wrong..
you cannot
You must either have the windows developers kit or BUY another product from
WhiteWater... for $195.. :-(  So the total cost (list) of using this product
turns out to be 695.00 (actor) + 195.00 (Addon kit) == too much money..
I would
suggest that anyone wanting to develope real applications for windows buy
the microsoft developers kit.. much cheaper compared to actor.. Althought
Actor is quite good at prototyping applications.. and seems like a well rounded
package..

tim smith
tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu

#include <std.disclaimer>

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (07/04/90)

In article <500@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu (Timothy Smith) writes:

>I just received actor 3.0 from the WhiteWater Group... And have started
>to use it
<deleted stuff including won't create stand-alone programs>
>You must either have the windows developers kit or BUY another product from
>WhiteWater... for $195.. :-(  So the total cost (list) of using this product
>turns out to be 695.00 (actor) + 195.00 (Addon kit) == too much money..

Version 1.2b would create stand alone programs!  I have not yet received my
update to Actor 3.0 and did not notice any reference to this in the
Whitewater brochure.  How about a clarification from the Whitewater folks?

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (07/04/90)

In article <500@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu (Timothy Smith) writes:

>I just received actor 3.0 from the WhiteWater Group... And have started
>to use it
>for small programs.. The speed of the code seems very good.. The documentation
[...]
>prefered 3-ring  binders..  From what people were saying about actor I
I like the paperback books myself.  They take up less room, although they
aer less durable.

>thought you
>could create stand-alone applications using actor... They were wrong..
>you cannot
>You must either have the windows developers kit or BUY another product from
>WhiteWater... for $195.. :-(  So the total cost (list) of using this product

This is just so wrong I'm not even going to wait to let Patrick respond.
To make resources, you can use the PD program icondr.exe to make your icons,
and bitmaps can be done in paintbrush, and dialogs can be hand made (ugh,)
or thrown together quickly using dynamic dialog and menu creation in Actor
(one of the nicer features).  The SDK or resource kit are simply easier ways
of doing this.  The Actor documentation of WIndows calls is better than I expected,
and you can always buy the SDK reference manuals at B. Daltons if you need more
information.

Actor has a very good section describing how to seal off and application, and
guides you through the process.  The only problem I can see would be making
your own icons.  The rc.exe resource compiler is included with Actor.

If you have any questions on making icons, or want to know how to get icondr,
I'd be happy to help you out.

>tim smith
>tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu
>

>#include <std.disclaimer>

-Paul Gyugyi
Stanford University. just a grad student)
Absoultely no involvement with The Whitewater group, aside from a happy
customer.
gyugyi@portia.stanford.edu

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/10/90)

In article <500@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu (Timothy Smith) writes:
>From what people were saying about actor I thought you
>could create stand-alone applications using actor... They were wrong..
>you cannot.  You must either have the windows developers kit or BUY another
>product from WhiteWater... for $195.. :-(  So the total cost (list) of
>using this product turns out to be 695.00 (actor) + 195.00 (Addon kit) ==
>too much money..

Why do you say you can't create stand alone applications without the Toolkit?
Before the resource toolkit existed we had people creating stand alone
applications.  Right now I could create a program for you with dialogs,
menus, and so on in a matter of hours.  I could then remove our compiler
from the system and create a program that runs and looks like any normal
Windows program.

I'd be really interested in what made you say you can't create a stand alone
program.

--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

In article <7723@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:
>Version 1.2b would create stand alone programs!  I have not yet received my
>update to Actor 3.0 and did not notice any reference to this in the
>Whitewater brochure.  How about a clarification from the Whitewater folks?

Fear not people.  We've not changed in that respect.  Not only can you still
create stand alone applicatioins, but we've made the process much easier.
Previously we had a process called "Sealing Off".  This required running a
slim and trim version of Actor, loading your program, then removing the
compiler from the system.  We now have a menu choice called "Seal Off..."
that will bring up a dialog.  All you have to do is provide the name of
a class (that you create) that starts your application, the name of the
file you want it saved into, your static setting, and your dynamic setting.
Hit OK and voila, you have an application.

I believe that the previous posters confusion on this matter (he thought
you required the Resource Toolkit to do this) is due to our new manuals.
In order to make integration of our tools easier, we do refer to the Toolkit
in our new manuals.  He possible thought that it was _required_ to perform
actions that we referred to (e.g. dialog boxes, menus, etc).
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

moss@moss.TTI.COM (Moss) (07/12/90)

As a practical matter, you DO need the Resource Toolkit to build a
full function Actor application. I have recently converted my Actor 2 app
to Actor 3 and since the Resource Toolkit is not available for Windows 3.0,
I have had to use the SDK resource editorcompiler and ICON editor to
"finish it off".

Since the Resource Toolkit will not be available for a couple of months,
plan on learning to use the SDK tools for near term developments. (Patrick,
how would you create a password dialog (ES_PASSWORD) or custom icons
within Actor?)

On the subject of standalone applications, yes, you can seal-off the app
and discard the compliler but the app still consists of two files - the
actor runtime amd the IMA file. It would be preferable if the seal off
process embedded the image in the EXE. It is too easy for users who
don't understand actor structure to move the exe somewhere and leave the
ima behind.

These faults (and others), however, do not prevent Actor from being the
most productive application development environment for Windows
available today.
The person that said that "$695+$195" is too much money must value his time
at much less that $5.00 per hour.

Les Moss                      moss@tti.com
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.   (213) 450-9111, ext. 2982
Santa Monica, CA  90405

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/14/90)

In article <18534@ttidca.TTI.COM> moss@moss.TTI.COM (Moss) writes:
>Since the Resource Toolkit will not be available for a couple of months,
>plan on learning to use the SDK tools for near term developments. (Patrick,
>how would you create a password dialog (ES_PASSWORD) or custom icons
>within Actor?)

Actually, I've thought about these myself.  Creating the dialog is simple
enough.  We do provide the Resource Compiler for Windows and we do have a
wide array of dialog boxes that can be used to see how various dialog
styles are set up.  Agreed, this is an ugly way to create dialogs but it
does work.  We also have the dynamic dialog creation for those that want
to come up with something quickly.

As for Icons, there is a way to cheat on those.  If you set the icon
to null when the window is registered (set the wndIcon method so that it
returns a 0) your icon will become whatever is on your screen.  If you use
a bitmap editor, create a bitmap that is 64x64, and then set your window
up in such a way so that this bitmap is displayed in the window when it
is iconized you will have an icon.

Sure, it's a cludge, but it does work.

Oh, and the comment on imbedding the .IMA file in the EXE file, I like it.
It's something that I've suggested a few times but it's never quite done.