[comp.windows.ms] MS Windows 3.0 - New Books

altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (06/30/90)

Well, I walked into my local B Daltons today and guess what I found?

A whole slew of new Windows Programming Books from Microsoft.

Here's the list:

MS Windows Guide to Programming   1-55615-308-2  $29.95
MS Windows Programming Tools      1-55615-310-4  $24.95
MS Windows Programmer's Reference 1-55615-309-0  $39.95

The following title are recommended on the inside cover as well,
of course they are also from MS Press:

Programming Windows 2nd Ed.  Charles Petzold  release date October 90
Windows: Programmer's Problem Solver  Richard Wilton       November 90

and the all famous (should have been included with the program)
MS C Run-time Library Reference  1-55615-225-6     $22.95

Hope someone who actually buys these things could let the rest
of us know whether they are useful or not.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

moran@drivax.UUCP (Mike Moran) (07/01/90)

>Well, I walked into my local B Daltons today and guess what I found?

>A whole slew of new Windows Programming Books from Microsoft.

>Here's the list:

>MS Windows Guide to Programming   1-55615-308-2  $29.95
>MS Windows Programming Tools      1-55615-310-4  $24.95
>MS Windows Programmer's Reference 1-55615-309-0  $39.95

This is the documentation that comes with the SDK.  How nice that it
is available for those of us who work in more than one place and don't
want to lug all those docs. around.

--
Michael A. Moran
Digital Research

thj@mtcchi.uucp (XT0221000-Tom Hjellming(ZG90210)0000) (07/05/90)

altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:

>Well, I walked into my local B Daltons today and guess what I found?

>A whole slew of new Windows Programming Books from Microsoft.

>Here's the list:

>MS Windows Guide to Programming   1-55615-308-2  $29.95
>MS Windows Programming Tools      1-55615-310-4  $24.95
>MS Windows Programmer's Reference 1-55615-309-0  $39.95

>The following title are recommended on the inside cover as well,
>of course they are also from MS Press:

>Programming Windows 2nd Ed.  Charles Petzold  release date October 90
>Windows: Programmer's Problem Solver  Richard Wilton       November 90

>and the all famous (should have been included with the program)
>MS C Run-time Library Reference  1-55615-225-6     $22.95

>Hope someone who actually buys these things could let the rest
>of us know whether they are useful or not.

hmm, interesting.  These titles match almost exactly the names of the manuals
that came with my Win 3.0 SDK:
    MS Windows Software Development Kit:  Guide to Programming
    MS Windows Software Development Kit:  Tools
    MS Windows Software Development Kit:  Reference

The part numbers do not match and the Reference manual is actually split
into two volumes (Vol 1 has parts I and II, Vol 2 has part III).

Maybe I'll stop in my nearest B Dalton and compare the contents.

Microsoft may be splitting the documentation and software for Win 3.0 development
just like they do it for OS/2 PM.

--
Tom Hjellming
Analysts International Corp. (AiC)

bobt@microsoft.UUCP (Bob TANIGUCHI) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul5.142709.25542@mtcchi.uucp> thj@mtcchi.uucp (XT0221000-Tom Hjellming(ZG90210)0000) writes:
>altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>
>>Well, I walked into my local B Daltons today and guess what I found?
>>A whole slew of new Windows Programming Books from Microsoft.
>

>>MS Windows Guide to Programming   1-55615-308-2  $29.95
>>MS Windows Programming Tools      1-55615-310-4  $24.95
>>MS Windows Programmer's Reference 1-55615-309-0  $39.95
>
>Microsoft may be splitting the documentation and software for Win 3.0 development
>just like they do it for OS/2 PM.

Yes, this is the case.  We are making our documentation for Win 3.0 available
in bookstores for those using third party tools to build Windows apps, and for
those evaluating windows, but not actively developing.

This is very much inspired by what we did with OS/2, and the OS/2 softset.

Bob Taniguchi
Advanced Operating Systems Group
Microsoft

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/14/90)

In article <55767@microsoft.UUCP> bobt@microsoft.UUCP (Bob TANIGUCHI)
writes:

>Yes, this is the case.  We are making our documentation for Win 3.0 available
>in bookstores for those using third party tools to build Windows apps, and for
>those evaluating windows, but not actively developing.

>This is very much inspired by what we did with OS/2, and the OS/2 softset.

I for one am very glad to see this.  The more information you can
provide on a product (obviously with out releasing 'trade secrets')
the better.  It wasn't until I got the SDK that I realized how potent
windows is.  I had written my own screen manipulation libs for pop up
windows, pulldown menus, etc. in the past, but totally abandoned that
when I saw what windows programming had to offer.

By releasing information via MS Press, you'll definitely get more
people looking into windows programming that hadn't thought about it
before.

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida