[comp.windows.ms] Having trouble with MS Windows 3.0 on 386SX clone

simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (07/11/90)

In article <4921@milton.u.washington.edu>, markad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) writes...
>Well, I have a similar but, I think worse problem. After typing win
>(or win /3, to make sure), I get the welcome screen, then the screen goes
>blank. and remains that way - for hours. Apparently the system is running
>(I can alt-f alt-x <ret> to exit, and it does), but the screen stays blank.

I got a similar thing.  The problem was that I loaded an incorrect video
driver for my Paradise VGA card -- my version of the card did not
support the resolution that I wanted.  I had to re-install Windows and
change the driver in the setup.  Then it worked.

---------
Leo Simon			simon@pwrvax.enet.dec.com

Who is not liberal when young, does not have a heart.
Who is not conservative when old, does not have a brain.

						-- W. Churchill

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) (07/14/90)

In article <4921@milton.u.washington.edu> markad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) writes:
>Well, I have a similar but, I think worse problem. After typing win
>(or win /3, to make sure), I get the welcome screen, then the screen goes
>blank. and remains that way - for hours. Apparently the system is running
>(I can alt-f alt-x <ret> to exit, and it does), but the screen stays blank.
>
>I am using AMI Aug 15 (?) 1988, and have a genoa video card.
>Has anyone else run into similar problems with either of these?

In general, people who are seeing this kind problem should try excluding the
region c000 - f000.  There are cases where ROM doesn't have a valid signature
or whatever and Windows doesn't recognize it as ROM.  To exclude, in the
[386enh] section of system.ini, add the following line:
		emmexclude=C000-F000
If this cures the problem, try cutting the exclude region down (say, C000-C7FF)
until you find out the region that is causing the problem.  You dont want to
exclude all the address space because Win3E uses the ROM area for I/O buffer
mapping.

This is described in the sysini2.txt file in your windows directory.

Phil

I am speaking for myself. The above opinion
is not necessarily that of my employer.