[comp.windows.ms] Problem printing file*** S *** to disk

barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) (07/16/90)

From: barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy)
Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Printing to disk with Windows 3.0
Expires:
I am trying to use windows w/o a printer, then printing to disk and going
to another machine.

The problem is, Windows always erases the previous content of the 'print'
file. I have to save this file to a floppy, under a different name, every
time.

I wrote a small batch file to do just that, abd then a macro to launch
this file. The problem is that the macro may be launched from any application.
It needs to switch to the program manager to execute the .bat file.
when I <ctrl-esc> to progman, I get a list of active tasks. How can I make
sure that the macro will ALWAYS select progman ? I cannot use the mouse
since the order of the listed tasks may vary. I cannot use P either bacause
of Paintbrush, PCshell...

Another problem I had in my batch file is that :
for %%a in (e1.prn e2.prn) do goto test
goto end
:test
dir a:%%a
:end
echo ---the end---

DOESN't work ! for some reason, dir doesn't replace %%a by its value.
dir DOES replace %%a if I don't use a goto but is instead do the dir in the
loop. I must be missing something.

Thanks for your help

Olivier

-=-
Olivier Barthelemy       barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
MBA Student              1660 N 4th St, #2B, Columbus, Ohio 43201
French TA                Tel : (614)-294-3302 evenings
Computer consultant	 Permanent adress : 1 Q Mistral, 13120 Gardanne, France