[comp.windows.ms] Logitech bus mouse; screen peace

ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Edwin Wallace Elberson) (07/09/90)

In article <ED.90Jul8134209@ravel.sli.com> ed@sli.com writes:

>I tried to replace my mouse with a Logitech bus mouse (c9).  I have used the
>mouse on my ATI VGA wonder since windows was released.  In that time I had not
>seen the error with the 3.0 applications.  Last Friday I disabled the ATI mouse
>interface, and installed the Logitech board and drivers.
>
>Windows 3.0 became unusable.  Every application can and did crash with the
>"Unrecoverable Application Error".  The File Manager crashes every time
>I switch to another application and back.

I too have an ATI VGA wonder, but when I got my Logitech bus mouse, I disabled
the ATI mouse interface and I'm using the board that came with the mouse. When
I tried using windows, I experienced the same problems reported above and in
as if the display switched to a lower res. mode and then everything locked up.
So, I stopped using the Logitech drivers (I had the same problem with both
mouse.com and mouse.sys) and I now use the mouse driver supplied by
MicroSoft that came with Windows.... haven't had a problem since.

On an unrelated topic, I had the same problems others are having with the
*.spx files for Screen Peace. Not the ones from scrnpe.zip, but the ones
from spx.zip. It couldn't find the files (but it knew the filenames..?!?)
and then it would terminate with an unrecoverable ... error. I made a
directory c:\saver as instructed, and put saver.exe on the load= line in
win.ini. I left ALL the *.spx files in the windows directory, (c:\saver
was empty) then started windows (btw, c:\saver was also in my path). I
used file manager to move the .spx files to c:\saver one by one, and after
each one I killed screen peace and started it over again. By doing this,
I got all the .spx files over to c:\saver with none of the aforementioned
errors UNTIL I moved clock.spx over. Then I got all the errors again. So,
I have everything working now except for clock.spx, which I deleted since
I figured it wasn't any good. Does anyone have a good clock.spx?

Edwin Elberson
ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (07/10/90)

In article <11251@rouge.usl.edu> ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Edwin Wallace Elberson) writes:

>On an unrelated topic, I had the same problems others are having with the
>*.spx files for Screen Peace. Not the ones from scrnpe.zip, but the ones
>I got all the .spx files over to c:\saver with none of the aforementioned
>errors UNTIL I moved clock.spx over. Then I got all the errors again. So,
>I have everything working now except for clock.spx, which I deleted since
>I figured it wasn't any good. Does anyone have a good clock.spx?
>
>Edwin Elberson
>ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu

There is a problem with the clock.spx file (well, not really).
I got a reply from the author of the program.  The problem is
that windows ignores the extension name on files such as clock.spx.
When it tries to find clock.spx for the options menu, somehow it gets
very confused with clock.exe.  I first encountered the problem when running
the windows clock as an icon while installing screen peace.  The solution
is trivial:
Rename clock.spx to jhbdfgs.spx or some such.  Likewise, rename any
of teh other files that might cause a conflict.

-Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@portia.stanford.edu

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (07/10/90)

In article <11251@rouge.usl.edu> ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Edwin Wallace Elberson) writes:

>each one I killed screen peace and started it over again. By doing this,
>I got all the .spx files over to c:\saver with none of the aforementioned
>errors UNTIL I moved clock.spx over. Then I got all the errors again. So,
>I have everything working now except for clock.spx, which I deleted since
>I figured it wasn't any good. Does anyone have a good clock.spx?

The last upgrade of screen peace and *.spx I got from compuserv, renamed
clock.spx to klok.spx.  Something about not being able to start clock.exe
when clock.spx was in use was given as the reason.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (07/12/90)

In article <11251@rouge.usl.edu> ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Edwin Wallace Elberson) writes:

[stuff about mice deleted]

>On an unrelated topic, I had the same problems others are having with the
>*.spx files for Screen Peace. Not the ones from scrnpe.zip, but the ones
>from spx.zip. It couldn't find the files (but it knew the filenames..?!?)
>and then it would terminate with an unrecoverable ... error. I made a
>directory c:\saver as instructed, and put saver.exe on the load= line in
>win.ini. I left ALL the *.spx files in the windows directory, (c:\saver
>was empty) then started windows (btw, c:\saver was also in my path). I
>used file manager to move the .spx files to c:\saver one by one, and after
>each one I killed screen peace and started it over again. By doing this,
>I got all the .spx files over to c:\saver with none of the aforementioned
>errors UNTIL I moved clock.spx over. Then I got all the errors again. So,
>I have everything working now except for clock.spx, which I deleted since
>I figured it wasn't any good. Does anyone have a good clock.spx?

There appears to be a problem with clock.spx being mistaken for clock.exe
(the windows app). Version 1.2 of Screenpeace was supposed to fix it, but
I don't think it did.

The solution is simple, rename it to something like clok.spx. It seems to
get the actual name from the header, not the file name so when you do
"options" it still shows up as clock in SP.

My other problem was a corrupt space.spx causing SP to abort the FIRST time
after starting windows, subsequent attempts were OK. I deleted space.spx and
all works fine now.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

bgeer@esunix.UUCP (Bob Geer) (07/14/90)

From article <11251@rouge.usl.edu>, by ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Edwin Wallace Elberson):

> In article <ED.90Jul8134209@ravel.sli.com> ed@sli.com writes:
>>
>>I tried to replace my mouse with a Logitech bus mouse (c9).  I have used the
>>mouse on my ATI VGA wonder since windows was released.  In that time I had not
>>seen the error with the 3.0 applications.  Last Friday I disabled the ATI mouse
>>interface, and installed the Logitech board and drivers.
>>
>>Windows 3.0 became unusable.  Every application can and did crash with the

I, too, have an ATI VGA 512k w/ mouse interface in a 386-20 clone, &
I've noticed other notes about changing to a different mouse.  Is
there some reason for this?

I'll be installing Win3.0 one of these days soon & would like to know
if there is something about the ATI's mouse that warrants this change.

Also, I have a 65meg hard drive & need to repartition it from 2 32meg
drives to one 65meg.  Will DOS3.3 do this, or do I need DOS4, or what?

Appreciate postings...I haven't received email as yet on this node &
don't have any confidence.  Thanks in advance.

bgeer@esunix.UUCP (Bob Geer) (07/17/90)

>From article <11251@rouge.usl.edu>, by ewe@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Edwin Wallace Elberson):
>> In article <ED.90Jul8134209@ravel.sli.com> ed@sli.com writes:
>>I tried to replace my mouse with a Logitech bus mouse (c9).  I have used the
>>mouse on my ATI VGA wonder since windows was released.  In that time I had not
> I too have an ATI VGA wonder, but when I got my Logitech bus mouse, I disabled
> the ATI mouse interface and I'm using the board that came with the mouse. When

More than one reference to replacing an ATI VGA Wonder's mouse with
another.  I too have an ATI VGA Wonder 512k on a 386-20 DTK
motherboard, I plan to install Win3.0 soon, but I wonder:  why these
mice replacements?  Is it a matter of style, are three buttons
preferable, more resolution, other problems, or ?????

Much obliged, in advance...Bear-person