[comp.windows.ms] Toolbook for Windows 3.0?

lchen@cs.ubc.ca (Lee Li-Jen Chen) (06/11/90)

Hi: Does anyone has experience with Toolbook for Windows 3.0?
    How good is it? Is it really easy to use?
    Please post your comments. Thank you.

Lee Chen <lchen@cs.ubc.ca>                   1990 06 11

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (06/11/90)

You want Experiences with ToolBook... here goes

Installation was the first fun part. It wouldn't accept the second
disk and I had to copy the two disks into a directory and install
it from there.
(In hindsight I had a similar problem recently that was fixed
by switching from Dos 4.00 to DOS 4.01 so maybe it isn't Toolbooks fault)
(When I called Microsoft they had heard of this problem and offered the
solution I had already arrived at!)

TWO other people here that got WIndows the same day I did had BAD disk
2 disks. Not readable at all!!

Actual use...

Well it sure looks slick. Looks like SuperCard on the PC but I have
to admit it is a bit slow. I am on a PS/2 model 70 386 16Mhz and there are
some delays waiting for things to arrive.

I don't know about links to the outside. I want to be able to control
a video disk. I want to have sound "Xcmds" I want I want I want...

tj

zimmer@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas L. Zimmerman) (06/12/90)

From article <1990Jun11.134902.1631@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, by tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones):
> You want Experiences with ToolBook... here goes
>
> Installation was the first fun part. It wouldn't accept the second
> disk and I had to copy the two disks into a directory and install

I didn't have any trouble with the installation - maybe that's because
I'm still running DOS 3.xx.  :-)

> Actual use...
>
> Well it sure looks slick. Looks like SuperCard on the PC but I have
> to admit it is a bit slow. I am on a PS/2 model 70 386 16Mhz and there are
> some delays waiting for things to arrive.

It does look good.  I have quite a bit of Hypercard/Supercard experience
and this looks like an easy transition.  On a quick initial look the
features all seem to be there.  However, on a 286 machine with 1M extended
memory, running Windows 3 in standard mode IT IS VERY SLOW! We're talking
several seconds to react to a mouse click (by reversing the highlight
of a button) and 20-30 seconds to change books (their term for Hypercard's
stacks).  I'd love to use it - but not until its a lot faster.

Lee Zimmerman
Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
zimmer@nosc.mil

--
Lee Zimmerman, Naval Ocean Systems Center, Code 421, San Diego, CA, 92152
{arpa,mil}net: zimmer@nosc.mil

fraley@hprnd.HP.COM (Andy Fraley) (06/14/90)

> Does anyone know the price in US$ of Asymetrix's ToolBook product?

Asymetrix Toolbook Construction Set is $329.99 from Egghead software,
Sacramento, CA (Egghead is national).

> I wonder how long before somebody sues somebody over this.

Let's see...it took Apple about a year to sue HP for NewWave...

- Andy Fraley

hjb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Harry Barman) (07/16/90)

I phoned up Asymetrix just now....

They *don't* have any links to the outside world apart from their direct-dial
BBS.  Apparently there is a conference under ms-windows on Compuserve that they
keep an eye on.

So no e-mail, no internet access, usual head-in-the-sand attitude... sigh

Cheers,

Harry

bchin@wam.umd.edu (Weiyuan W. Chin) (07/17/90)

In message <10960014@otter.hpl.hp.com> hjb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Harry Barman) says:
>They *don't* have any links to the outside world apart from their direct-dial
>BBS.  Apparently there is a conference under ms-windows on Compuserve that they
>keep an eye on.

There is a Toolbook conference on BIX (Byte Information Exchange) in which
a/some Asymetrix employee(s) keep(s) an eye on.  Its under the
Microsoft conference.  Haven't seen much activity there except for
a tip to turn color on for the demo if the auto-install screws up.
I was planning on using the Daybook demo that comes with Windows
however the program is too slow... I just downloaded Almanac from
cica.cica.indiana.edu and it looks more promising.

--
Bill Chin
University of Maryland College Park

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/17/90)

}
}They *don't* have any links to the outside world apart from their direct-dial
}BBS.  Apparently there is a conference under ms-windows on Compuserve that they
}keep an eye on.
}
}So no e-mail, no internet access, usual head-in-the-sand attitude... sigh

Actually, to some extent, I can understand why most all the smaller Windows
companies are not on here.  Since internet, e-mail and news access usually
involve using a unix (or, ugh, VMS) system it's doubtful that a DOS company
would be interested in such things.

The only reason I'm on here is that I used UseNet when I was in college and
did everything I could to convince the higher ups in our company that it was
worthwhile to keep track of things here.  As it is, most of what I do here
is my own personal thing and no-body else in the company reads or keeps
track of it.

However, we do have a group of rebels here that want to secretly set up a
Unix server and get us on UseNet as an actual node.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us