[comp.windows.ms] Window Graphics

yjkim@milton.u.washington.edu (Yong Kim) (07/11/90)

I am wondering whether the graphical display will fly with the help of
Math coprocessor.  Screen updates and drawing graphical image will
involve a lot of number crunching.  Do you have any second thought?  I
checked the manual, but it does not mention anything about the
coprocessor.  Please let me know the TRUTH, nothing but the TRUTH.
Thanks

brianf@umd5.umd.edu (Brian Farmer) (07/11/90)

In article <4937@milton.u.washington.edu> yjkim@milton.u.washington.edu (Yong Kim) writes:
>I am wondering whether the graphical display will fly with the help of
>Math coprocessor.  Screen updates and drawing graphical image will
>involve a lot of number crunching.  Do you have any second thought?  I
>checked the manual, but it does not mention anything about the
>coprocessor.  Please let me know the TRUTH, nothing but the TRUTH.
>Thanks

Only if a program takes advantage of the FP chip will you see any speed
increase.  Windows itself will not speed up if you have a coprocessor.
Moving of bitmaps or windows usually involves byte copies not floating
point math.

ezk@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) (07/13/90)

In article <6860@umd5.umd.edu> brianf@umd5.umd.edu (Brian Farmer) writes:
> In article <4937@milton.u.washington.edu> yjkim@milton.u.washington.edu (Yong Kim) writes:
> >I am wondering whether the graphical display will fly with the help of
> >Math coprocessor.  Screen updates and drawing graphical image will
[...]
> Only if a program takes advantage of the FP chip will you see any speed
> increase.  Windows itself will not speed up if you have a coprocessor.
> Moving of bitmaps or windows usually involves byte copies not floating
> point math.

Can a math co-processor do integer arithmetic?  If so (or even if it can
only do floating-point arithmetic), can that be used somehow in next
releases of win3 to speed up some operations?

Just wandering,
Erez.
A wank's morning starts	one machine   | Arpa:	ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
clock cycle after midnight.	      | Usenet: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!ezk
 -HebrewWank #1 (US meaning, not UK!) | Bitnet:	ezk@cunixf, erzus@cuvmb

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul12.202607.22144@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ezk@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) writes:
> In article <4937@milton.u.washington.edu> yjkim@milton.u.washington.edu (Yong Kim) writes:

>>I am wondering whether the graphical display will fly with the help of
>>Math coprocessor.  Screen updates and drawing graphical image will

The only way the Math Coprocessor would help is if you waited until the last
minute to do all floating point to integer conversions (that is, if there are
any floating point numbers in your calculations).  Times when there might
be a lot of floating point numbers when manipulating graphics is when a
different coordinate system is used (e.g. HIMETRIC, LOMETRIC, HIENGLISH,
LOENGLISH).  Be forwarned, though, that you might find computers that
don't have co-processor's to be considerably slow when running a program
compiled to use the co-processor.

>Can a math co-processor do integer arithmetic?  If so (or even if it can
>only do floating-point arithmetic), can that be used somehow in next
>releases of win3 to speed up some operations?

As mentioned above, non-co-processor machines must go through co-processor
emulation in order to perform floating point mathmatics.  This can slow
down the speed of a program, considerably should there be a lot of floating
point math.  This being the case, Microsoft would have to supply two versions
of all DLL's and of the win program itself, one for those that have the
co-processor, one for those that don't.  Needless to say, this could get
confusing.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael THURLKILL) (07/17/90)

In article <4937@milton.u.washington.edu> yjkim@milton.u.washington.edu (Yong Kim) writes:
>I am wondering whether the graphical display will fly with the help of
>Math coprocessor.  Screen updates and drawing graphical image will
>involve a lot of number crunching.  Do you have any second thought?  I
>checked the manual, but it does not mention anything about the
>coprocessor.  Please let me know the TRUTH, nothing but the TRUTH.
>Thanks
Windows uses integer arithmetic exclusively. There are well defined
algorithms to generate curves and other graphic images that might
otherwise require floating point calculations, and I believe the
integer algorithms are faster than the floating point algorithms, even
on machines with co-processors. That last is an issue for the graphics
gods though. Anyway, normal Windows operation won't improve with the
addition of a co-processor. However, any applications that do floating
point operations (like Excel) will benefit.

Mike Thurlkill

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. They should not be mis-construed
as being correct or as having any relation to my employer.